How can I make a field required only on one screen?

Andrew Holden February 19, 2015

Hey folks,

If anyone can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it.

I have a simple custom field (a radio set) which is "required" when closing an issue.

Any chance I could include it on the "create" screen - but - in that case, making it optional?

Thanks!

5 answers

10 votes
Andrew Holden February 19, 2015

Clarissa - thanks so much!  And thanks for the fastest forum response in human history smile

1 vote
Sam Omidi January 30, 2017

Hi there,

You can refer to this page https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-make-jira-applications-fields-required-in-a-workflow-transition-691011903.html to give the workaround or resolution a try.

Thanks,

0 votes
Tim Cincotta June 4, 2015

Clarissa-

Does the JIRA Suite Utilities solution you have suggested allow for marking the field as required (in Andrew's case) on the 'Close Issue' screen, or does it only validate it when you attempt to actually close the issue? 

Tim

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 19, 2015

You can't. The way you handle this is you put the field on a screen used in the transition to close and require it there with the jira-suite utilities or other plugin. If you only want it updated there I would only put it on the view screen besides the transition screen. If you haven't installed the jira-suiite utilities plugin I strongly suggest you do. It is very helpful.

0 votes
cgauterio
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 19, 2015

Hi Andrew,

You can use the JIRA Suite Utilities add-on (field required validator) and set a field required only when executing a given transition.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Clarissa.

Sam Huawey February 25, 2015

Hi, Clarissa, Is it possible to make a comment and a work log item mandatory? As far as I know, these are not fields, but rather lists that contain many items. I thought of a custom screen and selecting it for transition, but I could not find any information whether I could use custom screens (the ones created from velocity templates and Java code) in transitions. Then I thought about two custom fields, one for comment, another for log time. I could populate them on transition screen, require them in custom Validator, copy to comments and work log accordingly in custom post function and clearing them in another post function. What do you recommend?

Suggest an answer