How can I link to a document or a program .EXE

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 27, 2012

I want to add a field that contains the full path to a file and then when the user clicks on it, that file will open in the appropriate program. I DO NOT want to attach the file. I want it on the network where others can see it, read it or update it. I just want to be able to get to it from an JIRA/GreenHopper page.

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 27, 2012

Hi George,

I see that you're asking this question about Atlassian OnDemand and this sounds suspiciously like something that we wouldn't want AOD users doing. I can't say this with certainty, but I suspect linking to an external application or document that could be triggered to run from a JIRA/Greenhopper page would present exactly the sort of attack vector that we would try to prevent on the AOD platform. I know for sure that deploying HTML in pages is restricted, and I would assume that the same applies for linking to external files: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Restricted+Functions+in+Atlassian+OnDemand

However, Adam's advice would work perfectly well on a self-hosted instance of JIRA/Greenhopper, so if this is a vital function for your workflow then you might want to consider migrating to a self-hosted instance as these aren't subjected to the same restrictions of AOD.

All the best,
John

0 votes
Adam Saint-Prix
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 27, 2012

Do you want a field or do you want to be able to add a link using a comment or description field?

If you add a field, you can add a custom field type 'URL field' and then paste the link value and that should work.

Otherwise, you can switch the Comment field and/or Description fields to use the wiki markup renderer, if the aren't already on by default and paste wiki markup: See below for the notation guide for adding links:

<th width="250">Notation</th><th>Comment</th>
[#anchor]
[^attachment.ext]
Creates an internal hyperlink to the specified anchor or attachment. Appending the '#' sign followed by an anchor name will lead into a specific bookmarked point of the desired page. Having the '^' followed by the name of an attachment will lead into a link to the attachment of the current issue.
[http://jira.atlassian.com]
[Atlassian|http://atlassian.com]
Creates a link to an external resource, special characters that come after the URL and are not part of it must be separated with a space.

Note: The [] around external links are optional in the case you do not want to use any alias for the link.

Examples:

[mailto:legendaryservice@atlassian.com] Creates a link to an email address, complete with mail icon.

Example: legendaryservice@atlassian.com

[file:///c:/temp/foo.txt]
[file:///z:/file/on/network/share.txt]

Creates a download link to a file on your computer or on a network share that you have mapped to a drive. To access the file, you must right click on the link and choose "Save Target As".

Note: By default, this only works on Internet Explorer but can also be enabled in Firefox (see docs).

{anchor:anchorname} Creates a bookmark anchor inside the page. You can then create links directly to that anchor. So the link [My Page#here] will link to wherever in "My Page" there is an {anchor:here} macro, and the link [#there] will link to wherever in the current page there is an {anchor:there} macro.
[~username] Creates a link to the user profile page of a particular user, with a user icon and the user's full name.
George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 27, 2012

I tried a URL field and it had two problems.

First I had to start the entry with file:///c: like this, otherwise I got an error:

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/labmanager/My%20Documents/SampleLinkDoc.txt

And then double clicking on the result doesn't open the file.

I also tried a <225 character text field. This entry wasn't recognized as a link:

C:/Documents and Settings/labmanager/My Documents/SampleLinkDoc.txt

I'll try the other one you suggest.

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 27, 2012

These don't work...

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 27, 2012

Time to quit for the day.

I can't get a new description field to show up.

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 27, 2012

The contents in the screen shot do not work.

Screen Sht

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 27, 2012

All that aside, what I REALLY want to do is have an object like the file attachment tool that would let me navigate to the file I want and then just save a link to it -- not attach it.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 27, 2012

Hey Goerge, the file:// links works only with IE not with other browsers, AFAIK.

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 27, 2012

@Renjith - Thanks! Except I just tried it in IE 8 - No go. I'll get 9 on my test machine and try that.

Any idea how to make it -- or something like it -- work in FF and/or Chrome?

Suggest an answer