How can I limit user access to view and log issues against one JIRA project?

Curtis Carmichael September 18, 2012

I created a new group which I will call X for this post. I created a test user that belongs to group X and group X has a custom permission scheme set up for that group only, where group X is referenced within. Unfortunately, when I logged in as the test user, I could still browse other projects and could create new issues against other projects when the test user should only be able to log against a specific project defined by the group X permission scheme. I was curious how I can limit group users to view only one project?

2 answers

3 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2012

As well as checking the memberships, you'll want to look at the permission schemes. You will find things in there under "browse" that you need to check.

You probably won't be able to do this without revising all of your permission schemes and access - the Jira default setup includes a group called "jira users" which is used to say "can log in", but is then ALSO used to say "can use project". This is a bad design and the usual recommendation is to revise your access groups in such a way that you have a dedicated "can log in" group and do NOT use it for ANY project access (unless you've got projects that every single user should have, such as "jira support"). Either remove jira-users from most places and use other groups, or set up a separate group for it.

Curtis Carmichael September 19, 2012

Thanks for your reply. I am attaching a screen shot of my current custom permission scheme associated with the group. Do I need to change anything here?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 19, 2012

Nope, that looks fine.

I would pick up on the fact you've said the scheme is associated with a group - it's not. It uses a group to decide who to grant access to, and should be associated with project. (Note, this is probably just me being picky about language and misunderstanding what you've written, but I just wanted to make sure)

0 votes
Lucas Molenaar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2012

Check the 'Poeple' tab in the projects admin page and have a look at the 'Project Roles'. Most likely these are also used in your permission scheme

Suggest an answer