How can I limit the options in a multi select custom field by project?

Karen Hayden February 11, 2016

I want one Multi select list custom field that will be visible to all Projects.  However, the selections in the field must be limited to values determined for that project only.  How can I do this?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2016

You can define multiple Configuration Schemes for the custom field by selecting the custom field's "Configure" option, then "Add new context".  From there you can specify a distinct set of values, and apply that context to the relevant project(s).

0 votes
Karen Hayden February 12, 2016

Thank you so much!  That was what I needed.  So simple now, but I just didn't get that out of the documentation.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 11, 2016

Context.

Every custom field in JIRA has a context.  The context says "this field appears for project X and/or issue type Y", and you can apply many contexts to a single field (look for the "add context" button in the list of custom fields).

Once you've set a new context, you can change the list of options for each context.

Suggest an answer