How can I limit a transition to issues in the backlog (not assigned to a sprint)?

Kimberly Kohler April 30, 2015

I have a Step in my workflow called "Shelved" with an associated transition. My team uses this to get rid of issues that we did not complete during a sprint and that we no longer intend to complete.  (I don't allow the users to delete the issues, as we may want to look at them later for history).  The transition also sets the resolution to "Won't Fix".  This is an action that users would take after a Sprint is closed, before (or during) planning of the next Sprint.

I would like to put a condition (or verification?) on this transition so that only issues that are not assigned to an active sprint can be Shelved.  I tried to do this by putting a Condition with the JQL statement "Sprint not in openSprints()" but when I did that I couldn't see the Workflow action at all either as a button (I had configured it to be the second button with "opsbar_sequence") or in the Workflow dropdown or "More Actions" menu.  

Is there a way to do this?

2 answers

0 votes
Kimberly Kohler May 4, 2015

One of the options when adding a condition is "condition based on JQL query"  I set it up like so:

image2015-5-4 10:51:30.png

And it looks like this in the Transition screen:

image2015-5-4 10:52:33.png

And now that I am trying to recreate the issue for you, it is working exactly as intended.  sigh

So, obviously I did something different the first time.  Perhaps I simply had a typo?  I'll just post these screenshots here in case anyone else stumbles upon this issue in the future,

Thanks for causing me to re-examine.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2015

>I tried to do this by putting a Condition with the JQL statement "Sprint not in openSprints()"

That sounds like the right approach, but can you explain what you have done to enable this?  JQL conditions are not implemented in JIRA, so I'm not quite sure how you're approaching it.

Suggest an answer