How can I know when issue security schemes have been changed?

siteops@tagged.com October 29, 2014

I figured out how to add an issue security scheme to my project.  I am using two security levels: General (anyone can view) and Private (only viewable by the reporter, and group working on the project).  The JIRA Audit Log shows when I add or remove an Issue Security Scheme from a project, but it does not include changes to Issue Security Schemes.  Users with the JIRA Administrator privilege can give themselves permission to view issues that I've marked as Private, look through all the Private issues in my project, then revoke the permission.  Is there anything I can do to know if/when this happens?

I tried looking through the audit audit logs, system logs, and Atlassian's support documentation.  I haven't found anything yet, but I may not be searching for the correct terms.  We are running a standalone version of JIRA v6.3.6.

Thanks,

-Tom

3 answers

0 votes
siteops@tagged.com December 3, 2014

So far, the only place I've found to audit changes to issue security schemes is the sql audit log.  I turned on SQL Logging in the Administration > Troubleshooting and Support > Logging & Profiling, and I can see the insert/update/delete statements in atlassian-jira-sql.log:

atlassian-jira-sql.log.1:2014-12-03 10:28:01,556 http-8080-32 tom 628x21821x1 1xy9ia9 /secure/admin/EditIssueSecurities!addLevel.jspa 12ms "INSERT INTO schemeissuesecuritylevels (ID, NAME, DESCRIPTION, SCHEME) VALUES ('10635', 'zzzzz', 'zzzzz', '10040')"

atlassian-jira-sql.log:2014-12-03 10:30:28,606 http-8080-30 tom 630x21842x1 1xy9ia9 /secure/admin/AddIssueSecurity.jspa 62ms "INSERT INTO schemeissuesecurities (ID, SCHEME, SECURITY, sec_type, sec_parameter) VALUES ('10526', '10040', '10635', 'projectrole', '10040')"

I don't see any corresponding entries in the Audit Log.  For grins, I tried upgrading to the latest version of JIRA (v6.3.11), but still nothing.  I'm using the WAR installation - could I have something misconfigured on my end?  Any recommendations for where to look next?

-Tom

Ambica Seshasayee December 18, 2019

Hi,

May I know how you were able to get the updates to Issue Security scheme in Audit logs?

Thanks,

Ambica

0 votes
Tom Van Buskirk November 13, 2014

I'm still having trouble with this. I think we're using version 1.4.8 of the jira auditing plugin (jira-auditing-plugin-1.4.8.jar). Is there maybe a newer one available that includes changes to issue security schemes?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 29, 2014

The admin audit logs are about the only way to do this, but the logging needs to be enabled in order to catch the changes your admins have made.

I wasn't aware that the information displayed in Administration > Troubleshooting and Support > Audit Log was configurable. When I go to Administration > Troubleshooting and Support > Logging & Profiling, I see several logs that I can enable or disable. Which one of those do I need to enable to capture the Issue Security Scheme changes? Where would the information be accessible? Specifically, I want to know when the Users/Groups/Project Roles associates with a Security Level are updated. Currently, I only see when Issue Security Schemes are added to/removed from a project. -Tom

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 29, 2014

Issue security scheme changes should be caught by the audit log, not logging and profiling. You shouldn't need to change anything to catch the changes - it should be logging edits to the schemes and the changes of scheme when it's changed in a project.

Thanks for the replies, Nic. I am not seeing edits or changes to issue security schemes in the audit logs - maybe something is misconfigured on my end. Any recommendations for how to troubleshoot? The audit log documentation doesn't include issue security schemes as far as I can tell: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Auditing+in+JIRA

Suggest an answer