How can I keep the Stories and Tasks Separate on a board since we use Tasks for the Estimations and tracking

Atul Jain October 17, 2016

In our Development Project, we have Organized our requirements in EPIC and Stories which holds the functional requirements. Development team creates the tasks which we link to stories (not making sub tasks as otherwise we can not move sub tasks to Future sprints for Planning purpose.)

Now, on various boards, we have stories as well as tasks appearing together that increases the count of overall incidents unnecessarily whereas we are interested only in looking at tasks for tracking purpose.

Also, since we can not create sub tasks for practical purposes, it is very difficult for us to find whether we can close a story or not. 

Can somebody please help in suggesting a better organization of our Incidents so that we can keep the requirements as well as development tasks all at one place in JIRA and still have better visibility?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 17, 2016

>Now, on various boards, we have stories as well as tasks appearing together that increases the count of overall incidents unnecessarily whereas we are interested only in looking at tasks for tracking purpose.

That would make me say simply "change the board filter to say 'and issuetype = task'" which would drop the stories out and make the board focus entirely on tasks.

Other options would be around visibility - add quick-filters or swimlanes for the issue types.

Atul Jain October 17, 2016

Thanks Nic, Though setting the filter to "Issuetype not in (Story)" would make more sense as there are other items too which would need the attention. 

There would be another problem with this approach, Now, since Stories will not appear on Board, they will not be the part of sprint and we will not be able to close them or pay attention to them. Adding a Quick filter can resolve this to an extent, but still Stories and Tasks would both needs to be managed in that case. I am still looking for some mechanism where JIRA treats Story as story and move them off the list automatically as it does with EPiC. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 17, 2016

They are treated as stories, stories are supposed to be on the board.  They're not Epics.

Did you have a look at swimlanes?  I suspect your best option would actually to have swimlane = story, they're correctly on the board then, and let you manage tasks within them.

Suggest an answer