How can I import projects between JIRA of distinct versions

Sanaa Marmar June 8, 2016

Hi team,

I dispose of two JIRA servers of distinct versions and we want to migrate projects from the JIRA older version to the JIRA with the newest version using the export/import JIRA's native tools.

I know that first I have to upgrade the version of the old one to the same version of JIRA destination.

• How can I migrate projects without doing the upgrading step? I was thinking may be I can do it exporting and importing data between databases. what do you think?
  • Is there any other method for migrating Projects between JIRA of distinct version other than using the import/export JIRA's native tools?

Thanks in advance.

1 answer

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 8, 2016

You've answered your own question!
>My question is how can I migrate projects without doing the upgrading step?

>I know that first I have to upgrade the version of the old one to the same version of JIRA destination.

Database work in JIRA is often ugly, and usually leads to all sorts of "interesting" breaks and recovery work.

However, if the data model for your two JIRA systems has not changed, you can sometimes make it work by changing the version numbers in the xml.  Stlll not recommended, and really needs proper testing, but it might work.  I certainly wouldn't bother doing 6 -> 7 or any other major jump, but 7.0 to 7.2, or 6.1 to 6.3 may be worth a test.

Sanaa Marmar June 8, 2016

Thank you for your answer.

The JIRA versions are 6.1.4 and 6.4.11 so I think there is no big changes in the data model and I am going to give it a try to the solution you gave me.

Sanaa Marmar June 10, 2016

Is there any other method for migrating Projects between JIRA of distinct version other than using the import/export JIRA's native tools?

Thanks in advance.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2016

Not that I know of.  All the stuff I've worked with was only reliable or useful if you took the 6.1.4 and upgraded it to 6.4.11 then did export/import

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2016

You can use a custom script to export the data, including comments and attachments, then create a CSV or JSON file. Then use the standard JIRA CSV or JSON importer, but it is quite a lot of work

Like bharat likes this

Suggest an answer