How can I import a complete backlog, exported from another JIRA platform, through a CSV?

Jeroen Thoelen October 31, 2017

I exported a project backlog from our JIRA platform in a CSV file, but when we try to import it in another JIRA platform, it does not import every issue. It give a certain error:

- 794 ERROR - Unexpected failure occurred. Importer will stop immediately. Data may be in an unstable state:

- VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?) (ERROR: value too long for type character varying(60))): while inserting:

So it does not import every issue, it stops at the issue where the error occors.

Can you help us with that?

You have to understand, we can not provide the CSV-file because of confidential client information.

Thank you.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 1, 2017

Hi Jeroen,

The error you are seeing is specifically a SQL exception.  Jira is using a SQL database to store this information on the backend of things.   Since you're seeing this error it likely means that one or more of the fields in your CSV file has values that are larger than the destination database fields are setup to accept.

Normally this does not happen when both source and destination Jira instances are using the same database on the back end.  But with Jira you could be using Postgres, MySQL, Oracle, or Microsoft's SQL server, of which each of these could be creating slightly different table definitions.

You could either try to tweak the csv file to trim these values  OR you could try to adjust the database itself to expand the size of that field.   Depending on the field in question and the type of databases (both source and destination) could affect the decision here as to what the best course of action is.

So to summarize the next steps, I'd like to know what databases are in use in both instances, what versions of each database, and learn what field is generating this particular error.

Regards,
Andy

Suggest an answer