How can I have users who are not in jira-software-users view scrum boards?

Mary Peek
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 6, 2016

I have created a number of scrum projects and I'm finding that users who are not members of the jira-software-users group cannot view the default boards. These are users who are in either jira-core-users or jira-servicedesk-users groups. They all have the browse permission on the scrum projects so they can go to the projects and see the issues, just not the boards. I've also checked the share settings on the filters for the boards. They are set up to be shared with anyone who has browse permission for the project.

Any idea what might be going on?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2016

This is because of the licence model.

• JIRA Core provides projects and issues (and the latest version has an experimental simplified board function too), as well as JQL, basic reporting, a plugin framework and, and, and...
  • JIRA Service Desk adds portals, queues, a simplified customer interface, and SLAs
  • JIRA Software adds Scrum and Kanban boards

Both Service Desk and Software work by looking at "Core" projects and issues, and layering more functions and data over them.

Your problem is that you have users who are only Core users.  Because they are not JIRA Software users, they can't use the Software functions, like boards.  If you want them to see the boards, you need to grant them the permission to use JIRA Software.

Mary Peek
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 6, 2016

Thanks Nic! That makes sense.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2016

That's nice to hear - I re-read this just before your response and I was not sure it was that clear.  Thank you for reassuring me that I don't need to edit it!

Suggest an answer