How can I get the 'Estimation' field to populate in the Time Tracking section of an issue

Helen Fulkes October 14, 2015

Hi there,

We have just started using JIRA as a trial in our organisation. I have tried to look through online guides and forums but am stuck. More than likely I have missed something obvious but please could someone point me ib the right direction?

In my project, in the Backlog screen I add a new story. I can then select the story and add a value into the 'Estimate' field on the right hand panel. (We are using the default issue types, only the workflow has been changed). I then add the story to a sprint and start working on it. We can log work by filling out the time spent field but no matter what options we select at this point, when we log the work we still have nothing in the 'Estimated' field in the Time Tracking section. (When you open the story to see all the fields). The remaining field can be populated and so can the logged field.

What we want is for the Estimated field here to either be set by us or to be pulled from the original estimate we gave before moving to a sprint. And then it would be great if the remaining work starts off by using the Estimated field and then adjusts accordingly, depending on what we set when logging work.

1 answer

0 votes
Andre Borzzatto
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 19, 2015

Hi Helen,

The "Estimate" field is a wild card field that assumes the estimation type select by your board.

So, if you want this field to hold the values of Time Tracking, specifically of the Original Estimate field, then you have to set this in your Estimation Statistic for your Agile board.

You can find more information on how this works and how to set it up here:

Hope this helps!

Suggest an answer