How can I get rid of version and components menus in a software project ?

Deleted user April 26, 2017

Hi,

as a former user of jira getting back to it, I've discovered the presence of these two items in the left menu bar of any software project, which we absolutely don't need in our projects.

Though they just lead you to an empty screen stating there are no components or versions activated yet, I'd like to get rid of these screens and menu items so as to keep it simple for our users

would you know of any setting that provides control over this default menu, or possibly just deactivates versioning and components in a software project ?

I've been searching for a couple of days through forums and third party sources, to no avail

thanks indeed for any help

2 answers

0 votes
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 26, 2017

Have you considered changing your project to a "Business" type project?

I have projects set up as this type and they don't show the Versions and Components icons in the left-hand menu.

Depending on your version of JIRA, the downside is that the 'Board' link in the left hand menu points to the default JIRA Core style board, which only has limited configuration options.

This doesn't prevent me from creating full JIRA Software agile/kanban boards to view and manage issues in a "Business" project, though. I just have to create/access them from the 'Boards' menu.

thanks Nic and Sam for contributions

@Sam : business project do not manage agile mode with a backlog and sprint, only the backlog in its entirety, which unfortunately does not fit our simple but straightforward need for an agile project management that is just not pure software, or even if it was, where components and versions are not useful

As always with jira, I am amazed at the dead ends we sometimes hit, though the tool is flexible is so many other ways

hope there's a way around ! It seems to be a new feature from last year's upgrades, as I haven't seen it in prior versions. How weird to make it default and compulsory 

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 26, 2017

I've got a business project running in a JIRA Server (version 7.3) where I have a scrum board with backlog and sprints set up to manage the issues.

Are you sure you can't get what you want by doing this? What functionality does it not provide that you need? 

ahhh that might be interesting, we've tested it last week but did not find the board for sprints as a default. Did you have to set it up specifically ? 

It probably does fit our need in this case, indeed.

(and yet the unability to configure what features a software project might need is a surprise to me)

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 26, 2017

Yep. You don't get a board by default when you create a new business project, but you can still set up (so long as you have JIRA Software installed, not just JIRA Core).

After setting up your project:

• From top menu bar, pick Boards > View all boards to get to the 'Boards' screen.
  • Click the [Create Board] button (top-right hand corner of screen)
  • In the 'Create an Agile board' dialog, click [Create a Scrum board] button.
  • I pick 'Board from an existing project', but 'Board from an existing Saved Filter' would also work if you have one set up that pulls in the issues from you project. 
  • Choose a project, name the board and create.

You may need to configure the pemission scheme that applies to the project to make sure you have 'Manage Sprints' permission.

I also needed to configure a 'view' screen for this project's issue type including the 'Sprint' field so each of my issues displays a read-only field with what sprint it is/was in.

Deleted user April 27, 2017

Hi Sam

many thanks for this precise wlakthrough, which I followed step by step.
I am indeed able to create a board, inherited from other projects where I set it up to our needs.

And I must be missing a key jira concept as I have no control over this instance of the board, within the project : 

it is not exactly the personnalised board we are using on other projects, jut a default board with all 'states' of the workflow listed as columns.

there is no 'edit the board' menu accessible for me to adapt these columns and states to those we're interested in, within the project

I have the feeling I'm almost there but am missing the last step

we are using jira on the cloud, not a local instance, so maybe features differ slightly.

In any case, again, thanks for your insights, very helpful ! I am not savvy enough to be able to reproduce the view screens or modify existing ones, but that's my next step

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 27, 2017

So, after creating your board, how are you accessing it again?

From top the Boards menu in the top bar?
or
From the 'Board' link in the left hand menu in your project?

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 27, 2017

In a business project, the 'Board' link will only take you to the defauly business project board, which has very limited configuration options.

By following my steps above, you created a full-fledged scrum board which has to be accessed from the Boards menu in top menu bar.

The fact that you can't get rid of the default board is the downside I mentioned in my earlier post. 

You just have to educate your users to go to the full board, not the limited one. You can help them out by adding a project shortcut to the full board in the left=hand menu.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2017

Have you used the "field configuration" in the project to hide both fields?

yes indeed. To my understanding, hiding these fields just deactivates them in any screen that would make use.
but it has not impact on these two useless menus :(

Like wcarmon likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events