How can I get one user to only see one project?

Louise Scott December 6, 2012

Hi, I have browsed everywhere I can and worked through lots of recommended steps but I'm still struggling with this.

I have a group of users I only want to see 1 project.

I have - create a new group for these users, created a permission scheme for them and assigned to the group but when they log in they can still see all projects.

I have a feeling I'm doing something wrong with regards to the 'users' group but I'm at a loss.

Any help would be great!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 6, 2012

Look at a project that they should not be able to see. Go into it's permission scheme and look at the "browse" line. It will be including those users somehow.

The most common culprit is "Jira users". Atlassian have a really bad default model where they use "jira users" to mean "can log in" (which is fine in itself), but then use it for "can use project" as well. This then gets copied ad-infinitum, until an admin runs into a case like yours, by which time, "jira users" is used all over the place, and just creating a new user automatically spams them into multiple projects. It's a pain in the neck, and I think every client I've ever had has suffered from it (apart from the people who are migrating to a clean Jira - with a clean system, you can set up a useful default before any damage is done)

If that's what's happened to you, then you'll need to do a bit of re-working. The most simple approach (although it's still one heck of a slog) is to create a new group for "general users" and put everyone in it, except your group of restricted users. Then go through the permission schemes and replace "jira users" with "general users". Once you've done that, you'll have returned "jira users" to a simple "can log into Jira" usage, and you can build usable security on top of that. (A slight variant is to create a new "can log in" group and stop using "jira users" as the login group, but you still need to hack all the permission schemes)

Nic if you were nearby I would kiss you!! What worked was putting the Group I'd created into the Browse Projects Default Permission Scheme and removing the Users group and thats worked... you are a star ! Thank you.. :O)

0 votes
Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2012

Are you sure the permission scheme is associated with only one project and the users within this group are not present in any other group or permission which give them accesss to all projects . check Global Permissions.

The Permission Scheme is definetely only linked to one project, the user is also part of the Users group but I understand they need to be part of that to be able to log in. I'm sure this is where I'm going wrong, I'm not sure what to do once I'm in Global Permissions.

Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2012

These users should not have the first two permissions of the Global permission i.e.

JIRA System Administrators and
JIRA Administrators

Are you sure that the jira-users group dont have these permissions ?

Suggest an answer