How can I get my board's burndown chart to reflect the stories pulled from 4 different projects?

Douglas Roberts March 11, 2014

Our Scrum Board's 'Saved Filter' is set up to access 4 different Projects. When I go to the Board's Burndown chart, I see that I can only view the burndown for the stories in the current sprint from one project at a time. I want the burndown chart to show me all of the stories in the current sprint, not just those stories from one project at a time. How can I create one cumulative burndown chart for my sprints?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Maarten Cautreels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 11, 2014

Hi Douglas,

Summary

You can't combine multiple sprints in a single burndown but you can put multiple projects in the same sprint which solves your issue. You can keep using the different boards and they'll only see the tasks that are the result of the filter behind that board.

Longer Version

The burndown chart only shows you the report of one single sprint. If the 4 different projects are divided into 4 seperate sprints you won't be able to view one single burndown that consolidates all of them. However if the 4 projects are in the same sprint you'll be able to view that burndown chart.

So one idea would be to create only one sprint for all 4 projects (which is used on all 4 boards). This way the development teams will still get the same results and you can see the burndown of all 4 projects at once.

At our workplace we have a similar situation. We have multiple projects that we work on in the same sprint and on the same board. If we view the burndown of that board, it includes everything from that sprint (which is also included in the filter behind that particular board).

But we also have a board per project. These boards show the same sprint as for the consilidated board but when we view the burndown it'll only show data that is included in the filter of that board (fe.: data from a single project).

I hope this somehow answers your question.

Best,

Maarten

1 vote
Douglas Roberts March 11, 2014
Hello,
I have no desire to combine multiple sprints into one board. My question is: how do I get stories that are from 4 different projects represented onto one consolidated Agile Board’s sprint burndown? Currently, our Product Owner goes to each of the 4 projects and uses the ‘Plan’ tab to move stories into the new sprint during our Sprint Planning meeting. And then we have to press ‘Start Sprint’ in each of the 4 projects. Then when we go to the Agile Board, which is ‘looking at’ those 4 projects, we look at the burndown and cannot see all the stories involved in the current sprint on 1 burndown chart: we have to select which project’s sprint board we want to see and just get the burndown for that projects’ story cards. We want one burndown chart showing all the stories from all 4 projects in one burndown chart. How can we do that??
Thanks,
Doug

Suggest an answer