How can I get multi-line comments from my smart commits in JIRA?

G_ Richard Bellamy December 23, 2014

The following should produce a multi-line comment in JIRA, instead it's cutoff after the carriage return:

KEY-123 #comment This should be a multi-line comment in JIRA:
1. Because it makes sense
2. Instead, the numbered list will be completely absent.

If I try something clever, like this:

KEY-345 #comment This should be a multi-line comment in JIRA:
#comment 1. Because this comment is clearly part of the comment above
#comment 2. Instead, I get THREE comments in JIRA

Why does this matter? Because smart commits should NOT force me to create illegible commit messages. Ever.

My commit messages should be able to stand on their own without any kerfuffle from some post-processing tool like FishEye + Crucible or JIRA or whatever...

Right now the only way to make this work is:

KEY-678 #comment Create some horrible run-on sentence that is posted to JIRA as a single line, but is, without a doubt, in complete violation of the normal git commit message best-practices... for instance, this thing I'm typing here is definitely more than 74 characters wide. And seriously, who think this: 1. Makes sense, 2. Over the first two examples I gave?

Help.

oh, and those little "tag-helpers" below - we have BitBucket, JIRA OnDemand and "Server" FishEye + Crucible...

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jaime S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 24, 2014

Hi, there.

According to the documentation, the comments in smart commits cannot span more than one line.

I found this feature request to allow it. You may want to vote for it and add yourself as a watcher.

I hope it was helpful.

Kind regards,
Jaime Kirch da Silveira.

Suggest an answer