How can I get correct values of dynamicly updated custom fields on dashboard or on issue navigator?



We have some custom fields with dynamicly calculated values.

The scripts in the custom fields are running well in the issues.

But on dashboard or issue navigator they show false values.

Actualize the browser window or the gadget doesn't help.

We have also disabled caching, nothing works.  


How can we get the correct values in dashboard and issue navigator?


Best Regards

Harald Pfitzner

6 answers

0 votes

The usual culprit for this is that you are not indexing the issues that the scripted fields belong to.  A typical example is "I want to add up values in field X on subtasks to display on the parent" - when you edit a subtask's field X, that works fine, but the parent issue won't display the recalculated "total of sub-X" until it is indexed.  And editing a subtask does not index the parent.

We have added now these two lines in our script



The result looks a little bit better at the moment.

We must check this in a longer period.


Best regards

Harald Pfitzner

The reindexing seems to be not the solution.

After a while the dashboard shows any other values except the right.

We need an option to disable the cache for the values of custom fields.

The gadget refresh funktion doesn't recalculate the custom fields correctly,

it takes the values from some cache.

But it's not the same cache like we have disabled by Java parameter.

(com.atlassian.gadgets.dashboard.ignoreCache = true)

Gadget used is "Filter Results".


Best Regards

Harald Pfitzner


How are you creating these dynamic fields? What plugin(s) are you using? There is no "cache" on custom fields, it's the index.

The plugin is "Adaptavist ScriptRunner for JIRA Standard Edition".

The custom field is created as "(groovy) scripted field".

And yes in issue it works like ecpected.

Only in the gadget or in issue navigator the field doesn't show correct values.


Best Regards

Harald Pfitzner

OK, how are you indexing the parent issues?

Hello Nic,


It is not a problem of subtasks, every issues are affected.

One more line in the script:

           enableCache = {-> false}

seems to be the solution, but it slow down JIRA dashboard and issue navigator extremly.

But we must check this also in a longer period.


Best Regards

Harald Pfitzner


After a few days of testing the script additions you can close this here.

The script work now like expected, but slows down dashboard and issue navigator.

We must accept this because we need the right values more than speed.


Best regards

Harald Pfitzner

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
Community showcase
Published Nov 27, 2018 in Portfolio for Jira

Introducing a new planning experience in Portfolio for Jira (Server/DC)

In the past, Portfolio for Jira required a high degree of detail–foresight that was unrealistic for many businesses to   have–in   order to produce a reliable long-term roadmap. We're tur...

2,716 views 17 21
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you