How can I get a correct burndown chart when I forgot completing my user stories?

Jeffrey October 23, 2017

Hello everyone,

First I must admit that I am kind of new with Jira Agile, but I am learning each day! The problem I am facing is that I don't know how to manage my sprint backlog when I forgot to time track an user story.

What I mean is that today I started a new sprint and worked on two user stories. Both of them were equal to eight hours which in total is a complete working day (as I specified in the settings). The problem is that I managed the user stories at the end of the day.

After specifying the exact hours (including the time I started on a user story) within the 'Time Tracking' tab I get a strange result in my Burndown Chart. I have tried deleting the Sprint and re-do the settings.

Screen Shot 2017-10-23 at 21.34.41.pngScreen Shot 2017-10-23 at 21.36.52.png

Is it even possible with the way how I am managing the hours?

Thanks in advance!

1 answer

0 votes
Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 23, 2017

@Jeffrey, It looks like you started the sprint, added a bunch of issues (or added time to them) and then worked on several.  This is what the red line is showing in your screen capture above.  What you want to do is estimate all your issues in the backlog, add them to a sprint, then start the sprint.  Work through you issues normally and your burndown will look a lot different.

.pd

Jeffrey October 23, 2017

Thank you for your answer! I actually estimated all the issues before adding them to the Sprint Backlog. I worked on two issues yesterday, but the Burndown Chart was showing weird results (probably because I am doing something wrong). So I had to retry it and that is the result I am showing above. So there is no way to fix this?

Suggest an answer