How can I generate a report of time logged per person and not per task?

Edward Kaminski April 27, 2012

I've been looking through the forums and have found similar questions, but not quite the exact thing I'm looking for. So I apologize in advance if this question has already been answered and I missed the post (I hate creating duplicates).

I've been playing around with the built-in reports in JIRA, in particular the Workload Pie Chart report. I wanted to see if I could get a report of how many hours an individual in a project has logged across all the tasks he has logged work in. What I found was disappointing.

I made a single test ticket in a brand new fix version (so it was the only ticket available in my query) and assigned it to myself (person A), and logged 5 hours on the task. I then assigned the ticket to a co-worker (person B), and he logged 10 hours on the task. When I ran the workload report by assignee and on time spent, the only person that appeared in the report was person B with a total log time of 15 hours (his hours plus my hours). What I was hoping I would get was person A having 5 hours and person B having 10 hours.

The problem is, person B was the last assignee for the task. And the task currently had 15 hours logged on it. So, the report says that person B has 15 hours logged. The report does not go into the task and extract the hours per individual -- just the total hours on the task and the last person assigned.

So, I think you know my question. How can I generate a time logged report per person regardless of if the task they were involved in was also worked on by other individuals?

15 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

74 votes
Answer accepted
Edward Kaminski September 26, 2016

I think you may be missing the point of people's frustration.  JIRA has this built-in reporting feature.  However, the feature doesn't really do what it's supposed to do.  Yes, this can be fixed with some third-party add-on.  However, I think the expectation is, if you've made it part of the main JIRA package already then it should work as expected.  Either Atlassian should fix what is there, or take it out entirely so users know to use a third-party.  Not leave a broken feature in and answer inquiries as to why it doesn't work with "use someone else's plugin."  I believe the frustration is warranted.

Edward Kaminski December 28, 2016

I keep getting updates on this issue in my email, so I figured I'd put this answer in at the top so people don't need to look further.  The answer is no you can't generate a per-person report for a single ticket using the built-in report generator.  Use a third-party plug-in.  The built-in JIRA reporting does not work as expected.

Like # people like this
Roger Holmes January 13, 2017

I have a python script that uses the JIRA rest api to list all the work items reported per person, per sprint, in the form of  CSV. Then you can open it in a spreadsheet and use pivots etc to look at the data however you want to. I wrote it at work so can't just post it, but I can tell you how I did it

Like # people like this
Philip Elliott March 3, 2017

I wrote a small PHP app to do this, you'll need to host it somewhere but it should help / be a starting point for your developers to add to,

Can be found on github here:

https://github.com/fyllepo/jira-report-time-logged-by-user

Like # people like this
Daniel Mattes April 21, 2017

Hi Roger,

a python script would be my prefered solution.

Can you please explain, how you implemented it or share the code?

Thanks,

Daniel

Like Yana encheva likes this
Erik Warming May 9, 2017

Thank you Philip Elliott

I'll be looking into your PHP app soon.

In your README you write

"Run

composer install

to install PHP dependencies." Run from where? In what consol?

Philip Elliott May 9, 2017

Hey Erik, 

Apologies for lack of docs, composer is a bit second nature at the moment to me.

If you visit the composer get started guide and run the command from command terminal after you've gone through it.

https://getcomposer.org/doc/00-intro.md

Like sajal.goel likes this
Tempest March 2, 2018

For fans of .NET I took Philip's code and created a LINQPad script. I'm assuming a Windows OS. For *nix environments it wouldn't be hard to convert this to a Groovy script.

https://www.linqpad.net

Code is here:

https://gist.github.com/Tempest1000/bcfe53eda7c0b6dadda95acb39cf46e7

It doesn't include the filtering or export to CSV capability, it just generates an HTML file using Philip's HTML and drops it here:

%userprofile%\AppData\Local\LINQPad

It will run out of the box with LINQPad, but it does require one additional assembly:

Newtonsoft.Json

That can be downloaded here: 

https://www.newtonsoft.com/json

Then in LINQPad with the script open:

F4 > browse > choose Newtonsoft.Json.dll

Like # people like this
78 votes
Marieke Post July 6, 2015

Oh god, wow..everything that should be simple is made so unimaginably complex in Jira. I log my work on everything and now I just want a simple report on what I worked on and there is no handson report builder giving simple meaning to the data i log every day...This system just keeps leaving me so frustrated. It makes no sense what so ever. Why would i be able to log my work if I cant track it? It blows my mind. 

Jon Gilbert May 26, 2016

Amen. Why is JIRA like this?

Like # people like this
Robert Modzelewski June 29, 2016

I completely agree... the model has been engineered to have to rely on other complex useless plugin's for which you need to pay additional monthly subscriptions.. JIRA ITSELF SHOULD HAVE THE DECENT REPORTING ENGINE... useless..

Like # people like this
Daniel Micallef August 29, 2016

Completely agree! Useless!

Like gaurav.arya likes this
Edward Kaminski August 29, 2016

If there's a report generator built-in, it should work properly.  We should not have to rely on third-parties to get basic functionality.  To me, this simply looks like a case of lazy programming.

Like # people like this
David Skreiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 6, 2016

There's probably a paid plugin for that?

Daniel Micallef September 7, 2016

There is a free plugin called Timetracker which adds the functionality.

Humera Hayat September 20, 2016

Where do I get this timetracker?

elik_ru February 5, 2017

I suppose Daniel mentioned this: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/org.everit.jira.timetracker.plugin/server/overview

Unfortunately it does not work with JIRA in cloud.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2017

Agreeed - the whole point of buying software is not having to program your own solution.

Like # people like this
9 votes
Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 20, 2012

Hi Edward,

As an alternative you may use Confluence and SQL plugin to query directly JIRA database.

This is an example of usage with a query that will return all work logged per user in the current day with the result in minutes:

{chart:title=Time Logged in Minutes|type=pie|dataOrientation=vertical}
{sql:output=wiki|dataSource=JIRA}
select author, concat(sum(timeworked)/60,' Min') as "Time Logged in Minutes" from worklog where updated like concat(curdate(),' ','%') group by author;
{sql}
{chart}

Cheers

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 29, 2016

The key point that kills this is having to buy a whole separate product to run a report.

Like # people like this
Robert Modzelewski June 29, 2016

Exactly... why would I want to purchase another product to generate the report? JIRA should do this..

Like gaurav.arya likes this
Gebsun
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 6, 2016

Why should JIRA do everything and cover every use case? How complex and expensive would it be then?

Simply go to marketplace and extend its functionality with a plugin. It is a perfect solution for everybody because you don't need to pay for other redundant functionality you don't need.

Like # people like this
Tig September 26, 2016

knowing what's been worked on by whom for how long doesn't seem like an edge use case. even if JIRA doesn't want to include this type of report, the information is clearly already available in the backend ... all we're asking for is the ability to write reports against the information already collected by and avaialble in the system without having to jump through hoops or spend a lot of money on top of what's already been spent just to buy the product itself.

It's like using Word to create a document, and then needing a third-party plug-in to print it.

Like # people like this
Gebsun
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 26, 2016

You already have ability to prepare such report using Java and P2 plugin SDK or even SQL directly.

JIRA is not a timetracking system hence it is not a daily use case. 

Like John Chesshir likes this
Tig September 26, 2016

It sounds like you're saying we need a programmer on-hand to support JIRA reporting. Is that what you intended to convey?

Gebsun
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 26, 2016

You either need a programmer or buy an add-on. It does not make sense to expect JIRA do everything. There are various groups of users and each group needs different features. Adding all those features would turn JIRA into not usable monster.

Like Darius Mihai likes this
Antigone K September 26, 2016

^ that ^

thank you, Edward, so much that.

I'm used to having user-friendly front-ends to create reports for systems with database back-ends, so to me, the feature is having this friendly front-end, not the specific reports themselves. Because yes, Gebsun, trying to figure out all the reports anyone could possibly want would be quite messy! Which appears to be the direction JIRA chose ... have super-easy "widgets" available for each specific need rather than a flexible front-end to meet a variety of needs without the need for elevated permissions or expansive technical knowledge.

We have the data center version, which it seems most plug-ins don't support, and we don't have the ability to dedicate a programmer to giving JIRA the functionality most of our users think "should" already be part of the platform.

The rampant requirements that those supporting "basic, must-have functionality" have a programming background and/or elevated permissions may be the death knell for JIRA in our environment.

I'd really rather not go back to the stringent TFS environment, but if we have to then we have to.

Jack Hunter _HeroCoders_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 26, 2016

List of top voted JIRA issues and requirements: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-3821?jql=project%20%3D%20JRA%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20ORDER%20BY%20votes%20DESC%2C%20priority%20DESC 

There are so many items more important than "Time report per person" that it is not justified to say that "most of the users" need the report. We should rather say that "some of the users" need the report and therefore understand why Atlassian prefers to focus on other problems.

At the same time we should enjoy that the problem can be quickly addressed with third-party add-on. 

Like John Chesshir likes this
Jack Hunter _HeroCoders_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 26, 2016

When comes to Data Center, it is indeed a problem. Many vendors don't want to invest their time and make the add-ons compatible. 

On the other hand it is (I think) possible to install not compatible add-on and it might work fine. The rule of thumb is that add-ons reading data (e.g. generating time reports) should work fine. 

The problem with Data Center is that writing data needs additional care (synchronization between DC nodes) and that introduces additional complexity.

6 votes
Ellen Feaheny [AppFusions]
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 28, 2012

Edward -

Have you installed any of the timesheet plugins?

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?q=timesheets

These two are pretty rich and well supported -

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?q=minyaa

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/is.origo.jira.tempo-plugin

If you want a specific report (beyond what is in their canned solution), I am sure they can do it for you. Reach out to them direct..

5 votes
Michael Aniskovich October 27, 2015

Mind-blowing, indeed.  I'm looking for the same thing.  It borders on the hostile to give us a way to log time, but not to be able to query/report on such a simple thing.  (As Linus said:  "Would you give a starving dog a rubber bone?")  What are these people thinking?  Any chance we'll see this capability in the future?

2 votes
josh hollman November 4, 2015

Edit 1/24/2017: The plugin I was using "JIRA Timesheet Reports" in my response below was removed from the cloud may 2016 and I moved to AIO reports.

Hi, I am new to JIRA and encountered the same thing. Here is my current progress.

1. I have enabled time tracking in JIRA
  2. Now under the "issues" button, I can see "Time Sheet subscriptions". click it.
  3. Select the "Pivot Report".
  4. Next, click the "configure" button or "Change" button to configure the report.
    1. Choose your start and end dates
    2. Select "Any Group"
    3. Uncheck "show details"
    4. Check "sum subtasks"
    5. Check "Collapse Field Groups"
    6. Click "Next"
  5. The report now shows time per user, and time by project. You can choose to email, open in Excel, subscribe, etc. Gave me exactly what I wanted, a little more actually, but was too much clicking. I'll keep my eye out, there has to be a simpler way to do this. I am currently evaluating Tempo timesheets as well.
Milton Soong November 7, 2016

Is this JIRA for cloud product? I do not see any of these options at all...

Farhad Fatehi January 23, 2017

How Can I have ot per period ( weekly ) time spent per person per issues

Hitesh Shah January 24, 2017

I cannot see "Time Sheet subscriptions" under issues. Please can you provide some more clarity on this.

josh hollman January 24, 2017

sorry for the delay in response....my implementation is in the cloud and as of May 2016 they removed the JIRA timesheets and gadgets, so this is no longer available. I am now using Tempo timesheets along with AIO reports. Thanks

2 votes
Lauma Cīrule
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 7, 2014

Please take a look at eazyBI report creation plugin for JIRA. With eazyBI you can create custom reports based on JIRA data.

Here is an example report of hours logged by user per issue. You can also change the report by adding Project dimension from Pages to rows and remove the Issue dimension to see hours logged by user for Project.

Let me know if you have any additional questions about eazyBI. You can also contact me directly at support@eazybi.com

Kind regards,
Lauma

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 29, 2016

EasyBI really does seem to have a lot of potential, but it is also a LOT of money, and so far, I'm failing to see the "easy" in its use.  Setting up reports looks very difficult.  Am I missing something?

Lauma Cīrule
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 31, 2016

Hi Robert,

Thank you for considering eazyBI for your reporting needs!
To assist you with getting started, please take a look at some videos in our documentation - Getting started, data model for JIRA as well as issues import

There are simple and quite advanced possibilities to eazyBI (see calculated members). Nevertheless, eazyBI support is ready to assist you with getting started so let us know if you have problems with some report creation to support@eazybi.com.

Kind regards,
Lauma 

Zac Glenn February 1, 2016

I get this error when trying to import from Jira:
NoMethodError: undefined method `atlassian_plugin' for nil:NilClass

Lauma Cīrule
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 1, 2016

Hi Zac,

I am sorry for the troubles this is causing to you!
Please send eazybi-queues.log file from JIRA Home / log directory as well as what version of eazyBI you have currently installed to support@eazybi.com so we can analyze what is the cause of the error and resolve it.

Kind regards,
Lauma 

Zac Glenn February 2, 2016

Hey, Lauma.

My issue has been resolved. I believe eazyBI report creation plugin for JIRA meets a business need. We are currently reviewing the benefit-cost ratio.

Thank you for your help and communication on the matter.

Regards, Zac.

2 votes
eugenet8k July 7, 2014

Jira timesheet report works only for time-frames no longer than two months... And you need to run the report with all those parameters where the simple stats at the dashboard is needed.

I have the same goal as the topic's author described. We just need a simple chart that shows how many hours each person in the system logged for project during all its time. The Pie Chart widget is pretty much what we need, but it has this ridiculous issue that the time logged per task is attached to the current assignee or reported, but not the user who actually logged the time.

1 vote
Edward Kaminski June 29, 2012

We're creeping up on July here, guys. Nobody at Atlassian has any solutions to offer?

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 17, 2021

Hi everyone,

In the interest of brevity, I’ll mention that there are many resourceful solutions using scripts scattered around the thread. If you have time and are interested in scripted solutions, please have a look at some of the options provided by other clever Jira users.

Jira’s built-in time tracking offers what we believe is the necessary featureset for the vast majority of teams. While this may not address the entire set of features your team may want, we believe the core product addresses the needs of most teams while offering the ecosystem the ability to extend Jira. Many marketplace apps exist - both free and paid - that add a range of features to time tracking. I encourage you to take a look at the options to consider what most fits your team’s needs:

The apps range from simple (simply changing how time is entered) to complex full-featured reporting solutions.

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Support

0 votes
Ryan O Sullivan May 31, 2017

I use this add on , well  worth the money

JIRA Timesheet Reports and Gadgets Plugin  - Andriy Zhdanov

0 votes
Michelle Melancon April 19, 2017

Tempo Time sheets.  We dont use it but users wanted it.  Its not really focusing on anything related to the scrum/agile process, which is why I think Atlassian doenst provide it.   

0 votes
Nicolas Werle _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 13, 2017

Hey,
we released  "xPort - Custom Worklog Export for JIRA" for JIRA 7+ on the Atlassian Marketplace including the following functions:

• Create individual templates using your own corporate identity with optional project information, formats and your own images
  • Export worklogs & JIRA project information instantly
  • Generate automated performance records for your employees
  • Send reports automatically via email (in predefined time frames)

Please click here for more information: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.decadis.jira.xport/server/overview or contact us directly via email to atlassian-marketplace(at)decadis(dot)de

With best regards

Nicolas Werle
(Decadis AG)

ITOPS October 5, 2017

Thanks Nicolas,

Everything we needed to provide proper time spent by author was here. Thank you

I have added https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/Gallifrey/cloud/overview to assist with the entry of the worklogged. 

between these 2 apps i now have it all.

Great stuff

0 votes
Deniz Oğuz
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 10, 2016

You can also do it with WorkLogPRO for JIRA add-on. In addition to grouping by user you can also group on other attributes such as sprint, project, epic etc. You can also add these charts and timesheet reports to dashboard.

WorklogProCharts.png

0 votes
Igor Loskutov
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 27, 2012

You have to write custom gadget for this task or use some public plugins, for example https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/jira-timesheet-plugin

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question