How can I find what version (latest) to load for the respective Lic I have for Jira, Conf and BB?

David October 18, 2021

I recently became an administrator for a project that requires all 3 applications to be installed.  Based off of using PostgreSQL, I started to load Jira 8.19, Confluence 7.13 and BitBucket 7.15 and had to stop at the point where it asks for the license until someone was able to obtain the licensed previously purchased.  Upon entering the applicable info for serial #, etc...we were informed that we needed to use different versions for all 3.  I loaded these as a fresh install and not sure of options to roll back/reinstall applicable versions or anything else regarding this.  Also, this is for an offline download.  Any assistance/help would be appreciated. 

1 answer

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2021

Hi @David and welcome to the community!

First of all, it seems you haven't purchased the licenses yourself but rely on someone in your organisation to get you the license keys. Ask that person to check in My Atlassian (that should be the place he/she got the license keys for you) to check if and when the licenses have expired.

If your licenses have been renewed consistently, you should be able to install the latest version of the product(s). If they have expired, that becomes a different story. You will only be able to install the latest released version before the expiry date of your licenses. Check the release notes of Jira Software, Confluence and Bitbucket online to find out what version that was and use that one to get started.

The above only applies to the server version. If you are using Data Center, you are on a subscription model that requires you to renew your license every year. If you are on that scenario and your licenses are no longer valid, then you'll need to purchase a new Data Center license for your products first.

David October 19, 2021

Thanks Walter for the info!  It appears to be the 2nd option unfortunately and being fairly new to this, I am not sure how to tell which is the latest release version before the expiry date.  For instance, when it says support expires, is that the actual expiration date for the lic or just support?  I only ask this as the date reflects 26 Feb 2021 on all, however under the column for support the only one that mentions Maintenance expired is for BB.

I looked up a few things and the closest I was able to find was "list of version releases of Jira and also Jira Software version history" and this appears to be what you are referring to for installing latest version before expiry date:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1213607/jira-software/version-history

If that is the case, would that mean I would download version 8.15.0? Also, is there a way to do some form of rollback verse uninstalling version 8.19 and installing 8.15?  BTW, there was no prior version loaded prior to me attempting to load 8.19

Thanks 

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2021

I am not entirely sure what you mean with "the second option". If you mean Data Center, the expiry date of your license makes your product read only. You'll need to purchase a new license before you can use the product again.

For server products, your license is perpetual. That means you can still use the product and it remains fully functional, but when the maintenance expires, you will no longer be able to upgrade to a more recent version of the product.

If your licenses / maintenance expired on Feb 26,2021, the last version that was released before that date (for Jira Software) would be 8.13.4 (released on Feb 17, 2021).

I am a bit confused by everything you say about loading versions, previous licenses and so on. If you started on an empty infrastructure with nothing on it, just start over from scratch, install versions of the software that match with the expiry date of your licenses and enter the license keys.

-- Confluence 7.11.1 was released on Feb 18.2021.

David October 19, 2021

2nd option being "If they have expired, that becomes a different story"  

Is it safe to say it is expired when the column support expires has that date.  The maintenance has not expired for Jira nor Confluence and 1 of the BBs.  Also, where did you see/get 8.13.4 (released on Feb 17, 2021)?  This way I can see what I will need for BitBucket as well.  I see you provided Confluence at the bottom-thx!  I was trying to find that and only came up with the site I mentioned above and that is why I was thinking 8.15.0 for Jira.

I have since found that I can't rollback to a previous version.  As you mentioned, I did start on an empty infrastructure and walked into what appears to be an expired lic.  I will be looking at a new install as you mentioned above, thanks again for your help and advice.  I originally thought/hoped I could rollback to a previous version since I just loaded 8.19 for Jira, etc....  

Suggest an answer