How can I find broken filter?

Max Doppler April 8, 2014

If I delete or rename project keys, project names, fields, status, components, issuetypes etc. and a filter is using some of that, the filter will broke. Currently I avoid that if possible.

I would like to clean up our JIRA soon. But I do not want to annoy my colleagues with faulty filters.

Does anyone know how I can do the following?

- Get all JQL-Filters (in Text) including the Owner. I would then look for filters that would no longer work after a change. Then I could correct the filters manually. For this, I would assume the identity of the user (User Switcher plugin).

- Alternatively, I would need a list of all filters that no longer work.

Is there a plugin for these requirements? Or this works only with SQL? How would such a query look like? Or how you solve those problems?

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Nguyen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 29, 2014

Hi Max,

This seems to be an old question but I just want to add on my opinion in case it might still be useful.

• As for your second point, I'm afraid that there's no way to detect filters which no longer work in JIRA. I'm not aware of any plugins which can do so and personally think it can only be achieved with SQL.
  • For your first point, or the SQL query, you can look into table searchrequest in JIRA database. You can just select all to get everything but the most important fields should be id, filtername, authorname, and reqcontent. So you may want to use this:

SELECT id, filtername, authorname, reqcontent FROM searchrequest;

Please take note that you may not be able to access all the filters if you're not a JIRA admin or if they are private. Some more SQL tricks will be needed to achieve that.

Cheers,
Andy

Suggest an answer