How can I filter all those tasks linked to a story on JIRA board?

UPS May 30, 2017

I tried to find it at various place but I dont find any concrete solution on how can I create a filter in JIRA that would list me all those sub-task that are linked to User stories in the current sprint. I tried various JQL's but no luck, one such sample;

project = "XYZ Advisor Project" AND "Team (XYZ)" = "Team Blue" AND Sprint in openSprints() AND type in (Sub-task). 

Why do I need it? Because as a SM, I want to pull that filter on the Team's Dashboard to see who all are assinged with certain sub-tasks by adding a gadget "Pie Chart".

2 answers

1 vote
Vincent Lyon May 30, 2017

Hi,

You should try this :

project = "XYZ Advisor Project" AND "Team (XYZ)" = "Team Blue" AND Sprint="name of your sprint" AND type = Sub-task

This filter gives you all subtasks that exist in the sprint. Then you save it with a name, and select it in your gadget.

If you want to have stories too, just change

type = Sub-task

with

type IN (Sub-task, Story)

Hope this will help.

Vincent

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 30, 2017

Hi UPS, 

Vincent is right, I was confused by the words "linked to User Stories", so I gave you a wrong answer. Sorry for that.

I think, all of your subtasks are subtasks to stories, right? Then you don't need subqueries just to get all sub-tasks in a sprint.  

UPS May 30, 2017

Thanks for your reply Vincent but that query would not give me the desired result what I am looking for or atleast I am expecting to return, instead it gives me the following error;

"No issues were found to match your search
Try modifying your search criteria or creating a new issue"

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 30, 2017

So then, let's narrow down your problem. Do you get a result with that JQL:

project = "<your project-name>" and sprint = "<your sprint-name>"?

Vincent Lyon May 30, 2017

First thing, check the names you put. Many times, a filter returns nothing because the specified names were wrong.

Then, are you sure that you have Sub-tasks ? Sometimes, when I try to create sub-tasks, the default type is Action - even though I clicked "add sub-task". So, this might look silly, but check that, just in case.

You could also try to extend the perimeter of the search by removing the "team statement" and the "sprint statement". This might show all of the Sub-tasks that exist in your project. (Edit : that's almost what Thomas told you to do)

Now, I'm going to reconsider the query :

project = "XYZ Advisor Project"

Unless the project name is wrong, nothing to change here.

type = Sub-task

Nothing to change here either.

Sprint="name of your sprint"

Just check the Sprint name.

"Team (XYZ)" = "Team Blue"

This one is troubling. To me, it looks like you're comparing two values. I guess you're using the custom field "team". As I don't work with it, I can't really help with this, but I'm pretty sure that the statement would be something like this :

team = "Team Blue"

kalim Riaz January 2, 2020

Hi guys,

Actually I am looking for same filter command that solve my problem.

Problem Statement:

I want to see my Test Task with linked User story,

User Story assign to Person "A"
Test Task Assign to Person "B"

Now I want filter in which we can see both on one page.

Thanks

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2017

Do you have the Scriptrunner plugin? With that, you can create subqueries.

UPS May 30, 2017

No Thomas, I dont have that installed. Is that the only way to get the result?

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2017

There may be some other plugins as well, but you can't do such a query with plain Jira.

UPS May 30, 2017

I see, I tried to installing it but seems like its paid version and I may need to check with my management if they are going to provide it. Thanks though for your response.

Suggest an answer