How can I export the entire product backlog into a CSV file?

Manolya Yeniocak June 9, 2015

I need to export the product backlog from JIRA into a CSV file, what do I have to do?

Appreciate your support, Thanks.

6 answers

6 votes
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2015

You can perform a search in JIRA (take the same filter as your board filter / optionally exclude completed issues or issues that are in a current sprint) and export all of the returned values to Excel. There you can convert the values into a CSV file:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Exporting+Search+Results+to+Microsoft+Excel

Also you could check this answer here:#https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/84144

Cheers

Manolya Yeniocak June 9, 2015

Thanks Christian, although your instructions sound very simple, could you please explain it in simple steps for someone with no experiences and background in JIRA, agile etc. whatsoever? I would really appreciate it, thanks!

Like Doriane ETIENNE likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2015

The first link Christian gave you contains the "simple steps" to get an excel file. Once you have that, open it in a spreadsheet and select "save as" to get the option to save it as CSV.

Pete Slonka February 12, 2020

Not really. I can't figure out how to get to the first step listed in the first step is the first link. It completely misses that step. I'm new to Jira so it may be obvious to you, it may not be for new users.

Like Asmita likes this
Lester W April 8, 2021

If you are using the cloud version of JIRA, tough luck. No way to do it. :(

3 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 9, 2017

With the Better Excel Plugin, you can export any sprint or the backlog (or any set of issues) to custom Excel files, which can then easily saved to CSV.

You can do from Issue Navigator or even directly from the JIRA Software views:

jira-agile-backlog-xls-export

Colm McGrath December 3, 2018

Hi Aron,

We have the Better Excel Plugin but are getting the following:

image.png

Have you come across this before?

Thanks,

Colm

Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 4, 2018

@Colm McGrath would you please open a ticket for this via our support desk?

Like Fritz Iversen likes this
Fritz Iversen April 1, 2019

How can something like the backlog NOT be easily printed out? Quite a thing when you have over 20 issues and want to discuss priorities etc. I even tried Copy&paste to word but you get a mess with this, too. aaarrggghhh.

Like # people like this
2 votes
Rob van den Belt June 9, 2016

You can use Shift + Left click on the first issue followed by Left click on the last issue in the backlog-screen and than right click to export to Excel or other possibillities. See GreenHopper 6.2.2 release notes for more info. In Excel you save the file as .csv

Jeremy Woska December 8, 2016

Rob's suggestion currently generates a 404 page. I'd like the feature to be supported though, it would be very useful.404.pngimage2016-12-8 15:53:53.png

Like # people like this
jo astley April 5, 2017

This works if you then click 'view in issue list'. From there you can export.

Like Linda Travieso likes this
Rob van den Belt April 5, 2017

Thanks Jo, that's how it works and what I should heve written in the first place...

Like Linda Travieso likes this
Gaurav Singhal September 3, 2018

That works and thanks for an easiest solution.

Samarth Narayan January 10, 2019

Thanks Jo! Your intervention really helped! :)

ac December 4, 2019

I use the web version and don't have these options.

0 votes
Ella Delos Reyes December 10, 2020

Say you're viewing your list of backlogs. From that page, click the topmost Search bar and then Advanced issue search. A new page will load containing all issues from all your projects. Set the filters depending on the list you want to have, and then click the Export button located on the upper-right, and the select Export Excel CSV option.

0 votes
csaborio001 September 22, 2019

Could not find an easy way to do this, so here is what I did:

1. Highlighted the entire backlog (click first item + shift click last item)
  2. Right click on selection and selected "Print Selected Cards"
  3. When all cards were presented to print, I selected all text and copied it.
  4. Pasted it into a code editor, Visual Studio Code, and cleaned it.
Mpei Emilie November 20, 2019

Does this help import comments and other descriptions related?

0 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2016

This is an old question, but for those that are searching for alternative solutions. If you have the JIRA Command Line Interface (CLI) you can use the getIssueList action with the jql parameter set to your query. It produces a CSV file.

Suggest an answer