How can I export issues from Server including all the subtasks in the correct csv format for Cloud

Anouar August 22, 2017

When I perform an export from the Server edition I get a csv with a column "Sub-Tasks" containing comma seperated subtasks. 

I can not import this csv into the Cloud to automatically create sub-tasks.

How can I easily transform the csv to be able to import the sub-tasks?

1 answer

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 22, 2017

Hi Anouar,

Have you seen the Importing data from CSV knowledge base article:

Creating sub-tasks

You can create sub-tasks of issues through a CSV file import, by encapsulating this structure in your CSV file. To do this:

• Your CSV file requires two additional columns whose headings should be named similarly to Issue Id and Parent Id.
  • Ensure each regular (non sub-task) issue is given a unique (sequential) number in the Issue Id column. Do not include any value in the Parent Id fields for regular issues.
  • To create a sub-task of a regular issue in your CSV file, reference the unique Issue Id number of the regular issue in the Parent Id column. Do not include any value in the Issue Id fields for sub-tasks.

For example:

IssueType, Summary, FixVersion, FixVersion, FixVersion, Component, Component, Issue ID, Parent ID, Reporter
Bug, "First issue", v1, , , Component1, , 1, , jbloggs
Bug, "Second issue", v2, , , Component1, Component2, 2, , fferdinando
Bug, "Third issue", v1, v2, v3, Component1, , 3, , fferdinando
Sub-task, "Fourth issue", v1, v2, , Component2, , , 2, jbloggs

In the example above, the fourth issue will be sub-task of the second issue upon import, assuming you match the 'Issue ID' and 'Parent ID' fields in your CSV file to the Issue Id and Parent Id JIRA fields, respectively during the CSV file import wizard.

Hopefully that helps you get this sorted out.

Cheers,

Branden

Suggest an answer