How can I enable the Epic panel in a Kanban board?

Javier Mayoral Alba November 30, 2016

I'm trying to follow these steps to enable the Epic panel in a Kanban board, but I cannot see the Epic panel check. I am JIRA administrator and my Kanban board has a Backlog column with a status already added. Am I missing something?

Thank you for the answers.

4 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted

Hi Sam, thank you for your quick response.

I've been investigating further and I've noticed that I don't have that Kanban backlog, like the one you just showed. This is how it looks like for me:

Captura.PNG

This is the Backlog column that is showed to me.

For more information, I'm using a shelf hosted JIRA version 7.1.2. I've found that to enable that Kanban backlog JIRA I need to follow these steps. If I've understood correctly, I need to activate Kanban board under the JIRA Software Labs, which is only available in JIRA Cloud.

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 30, 2016

Yep. It's in Cloud only, I'm afraid. I don't think is a Labs feature anymore - it's there by default now, which it is why it is in the Cloud docs you were looking at here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/configuring-columns-764477997.html#Configuringcolumns-enablingkanbanbacklog

Sadly it's not in 7.1.x as you'll see by looking at the equivalent docs for server 7.1 here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver071/configuring-columns-800706589.html, which don't have the section about enabling.

I'm not sure if it is coming soon to server. Maybe someone will be able to comment further on that.

Sam

I was afraid that this feature would only be available in Cloud version sad. I hope that they will add the feature soon in the self hosted version (I don't understand why they haven't done this yet).

Thank you so much for your answers, Sam.  

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 30, 2016

No worries. I've marked your own answer as accepted, as I think you answered your own question in the end smile

By the way, I found the 'Suggestion' ticket for implementing on server version:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSW-15236

You could watch and vote if you are interested.

Sam

Like Ramia Shaheen likes this
0 votes
Prem Chudzinski _extensi_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 13, 2017

@Javier Mayoral 1

Use jira 7.4+ 

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 30, 2016

Please tell us what version of JIRA you're using.

Forrest Parker September 28, 2017

I'm having a similar problem, using the hosted version of jira, 7.4.3 and I don't see a way to turn on the epics list for the Kanban board..  

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 28, 2017

What have you tried?

Tom Allen February 26, 2019

Adding myself to this thread. I am running Jira server 7.4.2. I can enable the Kanban board, but there is no checkbox to enable the Epic Panel. The 7.4.2 Cloud documentation shows this epic panel enable option; but the 7.4.2 Server documentation does not.

0 votes
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 30, 2016

Hi Javier,

Just to check. Your problem is that you don't see the 'Epics panel' option in More (...) > Board Settings > Columns tab, right?

kanban-backlog-panel-epic.jpg

It should appear after you have dragged a status into the "Kanban backlog" section on the far right, but it sounds like you might have done that.

If you have, can you attach a screenshot of how it looks. That might help others understand your issue.

Sam

Suggest an answer