How can I enable inline editing for a custom field?

CIP4 Secretariat September 20, 2018

This pertains to Jira 7.11.1

I would like to be able to inline edit a custom field called "Draft" on our issues- i.e. when "Click to edit" appears when hovering over the field, it can be clicked and edited- but for whatever reasons, it is the one single field that cannot be edited inline. The "Comment" and "Description" fields can be edited, but not this draft field, which is currently of importance for our users. I have checked that the schemes for the field configurations and for screens are correct, but still can't inline edit the draft field. Have I missed something? Are there other "hidden" settings that pertain to this? Has it been removed from Jira 7.11.1? I know that the field can be edited by way of the "Edit" button on the edit screen, but I need the field to be inline editable, just as the comment and description fields are. Does anyone have any idea how to accomplish this?

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 20, 2018

For most fields, click-to-edit simply follows the screen set up.  You can use it if the field is on the "edit" screen.  If you can't use it, we would expect to find that the field is not on the edit screen.

There are two ways that this might change:

• You have an add-on that is providing a field type that cannot be in-line edited.  Check the custom field type to see if that may be the case
  • You have a javascript hack or ScriptRunner behaviour disabling the in-line edit (or possibly other add-on, but I'm not sure if there are others)
0 votes
Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 20, 2018

Do you have inline editing enabled in the Jira System General Configuration? This should be enabled as per these docs.

I believe the Description field works inline even if this field is set to "OFF," and all other fields require this feature to be enabled.

Donna Rochard January 10, 2020

I have a similar issue - I can edit the custom field on create issue and the field is visible in view and edit but I am unable to edit the field... I checked and inline editing is turned 'ON' in System General Configuation ... help !!

Suggest an answer