How can I do math operations in JQL filters?

Mark_Hornick September 24, 2013

Since JQL does not support mathematical operations, what would be the easiest way (or a practical way) to create a custom filter that does mathematical operations? We are trying to create a filter that reports the percentage difference between the original estimate and the time logged for a task.

It seems that 1) implementing a custom JQL function that computes the calculation or 2) adding a hidden field that does the calculation and then can be referenced using JQL would be two of the more efficient ways to accomplish this task.

Suggestions?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 24, 2013

I think it's worth pointing out that JQL is not SQL. JQL doesn't actually return any data at all, it simply defines the list of issues that something else is then going to work through.

JQL functions aren't even for returning data, they are more for defining your search.

So, it's a custom field that does the calculation you want really, as fields are display items, not search! I'd follow up what Jamie says.

0 votes
Pablo Beltran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 28, 2016

SQL for JIRA does the job. It can transforms any JQL into standard SQL with support to operate with numeric regular and custom fields (+,-, * and / among other mathematical operators and functions).

Then you can show that difference on the Issue Detail View with the SQL for JIRA Custom Fields extension.

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 24, 2013

You could use the expression function in script runner. One of the examples in the docs deals with %ages. However that is just for searching for issues.

For reporting, I would imagine there is a plugin already that displays something like this.

Otherwise a calculated field is a good option.

Suggest an answer