How can I do a full backup of JIRA and Confluence when both are on the integrated DB?

Scott Beeson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 11, 2015

I did a backup through the UI but restoring it didn't restore the images and other things I had modified.  Since I'm still using the integrated/standalone DB for both products, can I simply copy and paste a folder or is it more complex than that?

edit:  Thanks for confirming. Currently I'm developing a proof of concept, but I've spent lots of time entering sample data. I'm not ready for a standalone database but I also didn't want to lose my work!

Thanks again.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 11, 2015

Attachments, avatars, plugins etc are not in JIRA database. They go to JIRA Home folder. For Confluence, it depends on config. For example, you can have attachments in DB or file system.

Checkout the relevant documentation.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Restoring+Data

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Restoring+a+Site

Scott Beeson
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 11, 2015

So it looks like, with a default installation, backing up /program files/Atlassian/ will accomplish what I want.

Rising Star
Rising Star
March 11, 2015

That, and the database.

Scott Beeson
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 11, 2015

But like I said, I did the standalone option, which means the database is a flat file in /program files/atlassian/application data/<app>/database/ so copying the folder I mentioned above should be fine. Can you confirm?

Rising Star
Rising Star
March 11, 2015

Ah, HSQLDB. That is not a recommended DB for Production. You might want to change. As long as you use that, copying the folder is fine but there is good chance of it getting corrupted anytime.

Suggest an answer