How can I display an image (corporate logo) in my release notes?

Jason Plumhoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 11, 2012

I've been working hard on modifying the standard JIRA release notes velocity template to make it produce a professional, branded document that I can share directly with our customers. I've got nearly everything worked out (with one small exception), but I just had a request from our marketing group to include a corporate logo at the top of the release notes.

Can this be done? I already tried an "img" tag, but I'm guessing that for security reasons I'm not allowed to directly access the file system.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

2 answers

0 votes
Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2014

JIRA PDF View Plugin generates you professional looking release notes documents (sample PDF).

As it also renders the output from Velocity templates, you can reuse most of your work. Plus, the default release notes PDF template displays a logo in the top.

0d7de387-7dec-444d-841c-4b470d7542fa.png

Jason Plumhoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 13, 2014

Thanks Ferenc - back when I was working on this, I was hoping to avoid needing a plugin. In the end, I just started a page in our Confluence instance where the release notes were shared with our customers. Our tech writer keeps it up to date, and says it's too small an effort to worry about. But I have looked at the PDF plugin... and if I ever need to produce quality documentation directly from JIRA, it's pretty much the clear choice. Thanks, Jason

Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 13, 2014

Sure thing, if the manual work becomes too much burden, you are welcome to evaluate our plugin. :-)

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 12, 2012

A workaround.

Attach the image to one of the issue in a project which has read permissions, and use the attachment path in img.

Haven't tried this myself though :)

Jason Plumhoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 12, 2012

Hi Renjith - Thanks for responding! I appreciate the answer and I can see where that might work, but it feels like a bit too much of a workaround. I don't mind doing a bit of work to make this clean and maintainable for the next guy.

Jason

Suggest an answer