How can I display a custom field when viewing an issue, when it's not assigned to a screen?

Eric Palmitesta November 14, 2017

I have a custom field, with a value, that's not configured on any screens.  When viewing the issue (eg. https://blah.atlassian.net/browse/PROJ-1810) I want to see the custom field and it's value.  When I "Create" or "Edit" an issue, I don't want to see the custom field, which is why it's not configured in my Default Issue Screen nor my Bug Issue Screen.

To be clear, the custom field does have a value.  If I add it to any of my screens, it does appear when viewing an issue.  I don't want it on my screens because I don't want users to edit the value.

1 answer

1 vote
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2017

Hello,

When you configure screen schemes, there are tree types of screens:  edit, create and view. In your case you have to make two screens. Suppose one screen is called "Issue_Default_Screen". You do not put the custom field you are talking about on the screen. The second screen name, suppose, is "Issue_View_Screen" and you put there your custom field. When you configure the screen scheme you put as the default screen "Issue_Default_Screen" and you put as the view screen "Issue_View_Screen". In this case on the create and edit screen you will not have the custom field. But when you view an issue, you will see the field.

You can read more about screen schemes here

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/associating-a-screen-with-an-issue-operation-802592588.html

Eric Palmitesta November 17, 2017

Thanks for your help!  I eventually figured it out.

The part I was missing: I didn't realize each Screen Scheme has 3 configurable Issue Operations.  If an Issue Operation is not configured, rather than not showing it at all, show it and tell me that it's not configured.  Something like this:

2017-11-17 11_16_38-Configure Screen Scheme - MPAQ Tracker - Opera.png

Suggest an answer