How can I debug LDAPS sessions between JIRA and Active Directory?

Greg Warner September 1, 2011

For many years I have had JIRA connected to Active Directory for read only using LDAP. As part of a global security push I've been asked to perform this over LDAPS. Fair enough.

I've imported the server's security certificate as I have done previously when setting up IMAPS. But I'm still getting the dreaded:

{code}

Connection test failed. Response from the server:
simple bind failed: myhost.mydomain:3269; nested exception is javax.naming.CommunicationException: simple bind failed: myhost.mydomain:3269 [Root exception is javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target]

{code}

Which looks like a pretty straight forward problem with my cacerts file. I've imported so i'm *pretty* sure this is fine. I'm using JIRA standalone so there is no JDK installed, just the bundled JRE. How can I debug this? Does the bundled tomcat look for a different cacerts file?

How can I verify which cacerts file is being used?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 4, 2011
Please check if you have redefiined the system property javax.net.ssl.trustStore and check if your certificate is imported in the trust store file defined by this property
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 20, 2011

Its possible to use an alternate trustStore but its not recommended, see Atlassian doco, in a nutshell:

because if Java is told to use a custom keystore (eg. containing a self-signed certificate), then Java will not have access to the root certificates of signing authorities...

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 4, 2011

Its more than likely your JRE cacerts file in JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/security/cacerts.

I wrote a trivial java app yonks ago when I did exacytly what you're trying to do. With SSLPoke you will be able to valiate JRE -> SSL Service connectiivty, because Java requires the SSL chain of trust to be established before it will allow a connection to be made. See http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Connecting+to+SSL+services fore more.

Specifically, the default cacerts file could be overridden but there are maintenance and other issues related, all discussed in the link above.

Suggest an answer