How can I customize the notification contents that are sent to users?

JC February 6, 2019

Hi,

I cant seem to find any solution to my query on how can one customize the notification email contents sent to users when an issue or status change is executed.

I'm looking to configure and set the notification contents in the email that are sent out to the intended recipients under my JIRA ticket to reflect/include additional information of the ticket. (Refer to the attached screenshot)

1.png

Currently, it does not seem to contain enough information (apart from the subject title, as highlighted) and some of my users get confused when they receive a notification out of the blue (I create tickets on behalf for them sometimes)

2.png

I would like to have the description, ticket number etc to reflect in it so that they can understand what the notification is about and for at first glance.

It is fine when there is a new comment. (see attached screenshot also) but it seems to be lacking info for the rest of the triggers.this is fine.png

Is this possible? I have been searching through the forums and available self-help documentations but could not get any solution to this.

Looking forward to hear and seek your expertise on this matter.

Very much appreciated!

1 answer

0 votes
Knut Arne Ristebråten
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2019

Hi, and welcome to the community!

You can customize the Jira Service Desk customer notification emails through the Project Administration settings.
You can find the document on how you do this (including variables for pulling information such as issue description) here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskcloud/configuring-service-desk-notifications-732528936.html

If you want to configure the Jira default notifications, e.g. your last screenshot - that Agents recieve, this is sadly not straight forward because you need to edit the files that are stored on the server, and as far as I know - this feature is not available on Cloud solutions (I see on your notification that you use Jira Cloud).
So if you want to customize the "non-customer" emails, you need to use an addon, for example JEMH, to be able to achieve this.

Hope this information will help.

JC February 10, 2019

In short, I won't be able to do it.. Right?

The notification schemes only allow me to select what to do when a particular action is executed. Whether to send, or not to send.

I won't be able to edit the details in anyway, specifically speaking. Right?

Knut Arne Ristebråten
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2019

Hi @JC

In short: You can customize the customer notifications in JSD. You can't customize the default Jira notifications (the ones sent to your agents) without any addon in Jira Cloud.

For the customer notifications you can change the content and look of the email notifications - as explained here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskcloud/configuring-service-desk-notifications-732528936.html?_ga=2.241596866.1176155968.1549869771-1048279054.1549869771#Configuringservicedesknotifications-Edit,disable,andcustomizenotifications

The customer notifications are of the type as the first two images you had in your original question.

For the standard Jira notifications that are sent to your agents, you are not able to customize these in Jira Cloud without using any addons. The last image in your original question is one of these notifications.
There are a feature suggestion request registered at Atlassian for this, I recommend you vote on this feature: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-7266

The notification schemas control (as you say) who to recieve a notification and when. The customer notifications in JSD runs outside of the notification schema as I understand. The documentation linked to above contains instructions on configure who that should recieve which customer notification. See the section "Edit, disable, and customize notifications"

Hope this helps.

Suggest an answer