How can I create issues from the mail present in the mail folder of the JIRA Home directory?

Heena Ansari May 19, 2015

I have saved an email in the import/mail folder of JIRA home directory. But when testing the Mail Handler, I am getting an error saying the 'Issues subject cannot be empty'. But my mail has an subject as well as body.

Can you please help me out?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
jose_castro May 19, 2015

Hello Heena,

My first suggestion would be to add https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Mail+and+Mail+Handlers+Troubleshooting to get a little more detail on what might be going on. 

"I have saved an email in the import/mail folder of JIRA home directory." Can you explain a bit more of what you mean by this? I don't quite understand the context. 

Thanks,
Ramiro Castro
Support Engineer
Atlassian

Heena Ansari May 19, 2015

Hello Jose, I have used the 'Messages written to the file system generated by an external mail service.' method to create the issues from mail. For that I have manually saved an outlook email (.msg format) in the import/mail forlder of JIRA home directory. After that I have configured the mail handler. But when I click on Test button present, it is showing an error message 'Issue summary is not present'. I am not sure, how it will process the mails from the import/mail folder. Can you please help me out?

Luciana Cagnetta November 24, 2016

I have the same issue, I'm not quite sure if the file extension used for messages in this folder is correct...

Luciana Cagnetta November 24, 2016

I tried copying a .txt file like this one under JIRA home mail folder [jira.home]/import/mail

---

Sent: 24 November 2016 15:03
To: support@example.com
Subject: test mail file

Test mail file

--

and it worked.. However the sender mail address should be associated to a JIRA licensed account in order to work (not suitable when your service desk has many external users/customers)

0 votes
Pedro Cora
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 19, 2015

Suggest an answer