How can I create a report to show time logged by specific users in previous sprints?

Curtis Carmichael September 13, 2017

I would like to create a report to show velocity over time. The built-in JIRA report seems to only show this based on story points.

I would like to create a report to show velocity based on:

• Time spent by specific users (Developers, as opposed to QA, etc.). This can be measured in hours with a decimal representation for minutes.
  • The time spent would only be for "Accepted" Stories, Spikes, or Change Requests. Inclusive of any of the users' time logged on subtasks.
  • This would be measured for the last 5 sprints.

Built-in JIRA functionality / JQL is preferred for this.

I was unable to do this using a filter, but have this as a start for integration in a custom report:

project = XYZ AND issuetype in ("Change Request", Spike, Story) AND status = Accepted AND Sprint in (12345, 67890, 23456, 56789, 11111) ORDER BY Sprint ASC, summary ASC, priority DESC, updated DESC

Any help/pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Tyler Brown
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 13, 2017

Hey Curtis,

The built in JIRA board reports can be changed to hours. If you go to Board Settings under estimation you can change it from Story Points to Original Time Estimate and it will use hours (if you also estimate in hours).

That may be able to solve you issues without having to create a new report.

Tyler

Curtis Carmichael September 13, 2017

Hi Tyler,

Thanks for this suggestion. The challenge with this is that I would like to avoid a board-wide impact (if possible) and just see hours spent for this particular report. The other challenge is that I would need to only see work logged by users 'a', 'b', and 'c' (consisting of only the Development group) as opposed to all time logged against accepted stories.

Curtis

Tyler Brown
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2017

Hey Curtis,

You should be able to use this then:

project = XYZ and issuetype in ("Change Request", Spike, Story) and status = Accepted and assignee in (outline you users here) and Sprint in (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

That should capture all of the info you need.

You could also create a board with that Specific filter (without the Sprints) and then just change that board to hours estimation to avoid any farther reaching impacts.

Hope this helps,

Tyler

Suggest an answer