How can I create a read only group that has write access in another project

doctrin-madelen October 9, 2017

I have 2 projects and one group of users, in project 1 they should only have read access, and in project 2 they should have write access.

Is it possible in Jira?

1 answer

0 votes
Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 9, 2017

This should be possible if you base your permission schemes on project roles. A user group can be assigned to a project role, which can then have a defined set of permissions.

As a small example, let's say you have these three project roles:

1. Administrators
  2. Users
  3. Visitors (read-only access)

You should structure your permission scheme using these project roles. The only permission the Visitors project role should get is the "Browse Projects" permission, which gives the user read-only access to the project's issues, but they can't comment on or edit issues.

In my opinion, it's best practice to base all permission schemes off of project roles and to never include user groups in permission schemes. That way, you can have a lot fewer permission schemes to manage, and the permissions are granted at the project role level depending on who needs access to which project.

Suggest an answer