How can I create a filter using days in column?

Tony Wahmhoff March 3, 2013

The Greenhopper cards show how many days the card has been in its current column. I would like to create a filter that show all issues that have been in a column for more than 5 days. It seems this would be possible since the cards show the data I would need to calculate on.

The business reason behind this is to create a focused list for a weekly management meeting to review "exception" issues that might need some management attention. This would be easier than hovering over every card in a complex board with a large number of cards.

7 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tony Wahmhoff March 19, 2013

There does not appear to be a good way to accomplish this.

Michael Ellis July 23, 2018

This should not be the accepted answer. Alexander Shocke gave a good answer below.

I would suggest using During though. If you use Not Changed DURING(-5d,now()) you select issues that have not left the column. Before will show anything that moved to WIP before that, even if it left the column and returned to WIP. 

JQL:

status = "In Progress" AND status changed to "In Progress" before "-5d" 

Ville Lavikka October 9, 2018

Days in this columns and days since last status change are different things. First does not reset when the card goes to another status and comes back.

Like # people like this
5 votes
Deleted user January 10, 2017

There is one solution, but you have to define it for every column: 

JQL:

status = "In Progress" AND status changed to "In Progress" before "-5d" 
Deleted user January 11, 2017

Oh, you can even do it generally for all columns:

status CHANGED BEFORE "-5d"
Like # people like this
Joe McAlear August 24, 2017

Status changed before -5d and not status changed after -5d

Like # people like this
Michael Ellis July 19, 2018

status = "In Progress" and not status changed during (-5, now())

Ville Lavikka April 12, 2021

I ended up using changed before & not changed after solution for the quick filter I needed. It doesn't match the days in column and it is very easy play around by doing a back and forth between statuses resetting the timer, but better than nothing.

2 votes
Brandon Gill December 13, 2016

+1 Agreed.  It would be super helpful to be able to setup a quick filter that showed tickets that have spent a long time in a column.  I like the dots along the bottom, but it's hard to quickly scroll through larger boards and see which are the aging ones. 

0 votes
Julio_Cortes March 9, 2020

Hello I need that when I export the information to Excel I can have a column with the value of the days that a card has been in a column. It's possible? How could I do it or what syntax could I use? Tks

Ricardo Antunes April 29, 2020

Hello! I need to do that too. Did you get any solution? Thanks!

trisha singla July 13, 2020

Hello! I need to do that too. Did you get any solution? Thanks!

John Corwith April 7, 2021

Lots of people want this but it is not included in Jira. May be available in a plug-in.

Yuliia_Borivets__SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 8, 2021

Hi @John Corwith 

Time in Status for Jira Cloud could be a solution for you.

This app is developed by my team to generate reports of how long issues stayed in the specific column (status). It provides the possibility to view data as number tables or as charts and export them as XLSX or CSV files. image2020-11-27_1-24-9.png

Also, using this add-on you can get graphical and numerical data at the single issue view tab.

Hope you find it helpful.

Best Regards

Bloompeak Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 25, 2021

Hi @John Corwith ,

It is not possible out-of-the-box in Jira. You can calculate it by coding which parses issue history rest api json for each issue. Or you can search for marketplace apps which does the same for you.

One of them is Status Time app developed by our team. It provides reports on how much time passed in each status as well as status entry dates and status transition count.

Once you enter your working calendar into the app, it takes your working schedule into account too. That is, "In Progress" time of an issue opened on Friday at 5 PM and closed on Monday at 9 AM, will be a few hours rather than 3 days. It has various other reports like assignee time, status entry dates, average/sum reports(eg. average in progress time per project). And all these are available as gadgets on the dashboard too.

Here is the online demo link, you can see it in action and try.

If you are looking for a free solution, you can try the limited version Status Time Free. Hope it helps.

0 votes
Deleted user January 11, 2017

@Dave Clay & @Brandon Gill have a look at my answer below (https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/144207/answers/46082054)

Like josephine likes this
Julio_Cortes March 9, 2020

Hello Ben I need that when I export the information to Excel I can have a column with the value of the days that a card has been in a column. It's possible? How could I do it or what syntax could I use? Tks

KyLeggiero March 13, 2020

@Julio_Cortes That question is related to this one, but is a completely different question. Please ask it as a separate question.

0 votes
Dave Clay July 22, 2016

+1 I need a daily standup meeting dashboard to quickly look and see who's on what during the sprint. I want to drive that discussion by showing any cards that are sitting in a column for more than some number of days. That data has to be in 

0 votes
Tanner Wortham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2013

You might consider using the 'Updated Date' field to your advantage. See the screenshot below. Bear in mind that comments to issues change the updated date.

Suggest an answer