How can I create a custom field that is read-only to Users but read-write for Administrators?

John Macleod May 1, 2012

I want to include a checkbox to flag particular top-priority stories. I only want Administrators to be able to change this. How can I achieve this? I expected to be able to create a new custom field of type checkbox, and to restrict access to it, but I can't see how to do this.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2012

You can't, without coding. Jira doesn't do "field level security". There's a load of discussions and workarounds at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-1330 although you'll not be able to use some of them because OnDemand limits your additional functionality. I suspect the only useful workaround for you would be "move the edit of your field into the workflow"

John Macleod May 1, 2012

Hm. I suspected as much. Workflow doesn't really help us, unless we make two completely parallel flows I'll check out the workarounds. Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2012

Yes, sorry, it's a pain in the neck with the workflows.

Suggest an answer