How can I copy a scrum board to another project?

Manoj Anand July 30, 2015

I have a scrum board with specific modifications that I want propagated as a template for new projects, but haven't been able to figure out how to get it done. Jamie's excellent Script Runner plugin can copy projects, but not Scrum Boards.

I figured that after the template project had been copied, we could have an extra step to copy over the template Scrumboard, but this doesn't seem possible.

Any ideas on how/ if this can be done?

3 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

2 votes
David Vincent December 20, 2017

I have not seen a worse documented application in my 18 years online.

David Vincent December 20, 2017

After 6-8 months using JIRA I have found it to be a nightmare of poor programming and very POOR.. in fact FAILED front end flow.

Front end is simply the worst I have ever seen. Front end has been updated with new releases many times however the documentation and tuts are outdated and NOT updated to current use. Horrible! No Support whatsoever! unless you want to pay $75 per hour to untangle this programming nightmare of so-called engineers. Time to cancel.

Like Emeric Malan likes this
1 vote
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 30, 2015
Manoj Anand July 31, 2015

Yes, I can copy the board this way, but it is still part of the original project. How do I move it to the new project?

Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2015

Hey Manoj, you just adjust the JQL filters for the board.

Manoj Anand July 31, 2015

I've already tried that, but the board still does not show up in the new project. What I want to do is copy my template project, and see the scrum board set up in the new project. If I make a copy of the scrum board and change its filter, it still is accessible only through the template project, but now it can look at issues from the new project. I want the copied scrum board to be part of the new project, not part of the template project and pointed at the new project.

Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 31, 2015

When you say part of the project, where in the UI are you talking about?

Manoj Anand August 3, 2015

I am adding another answer as I wasn't able to add images to comments.

0 votes
Manoj Anand August 3, 2015

We typically go to Project–> Project Name.

Clicking on the ellipses on the left shows the copy of the board as part of the same project even if the filter is changed to a different project. 

Default_Jira_Template_Board.png

Vik Solem June 28, 2017

Hello Manoj.

I too am seeking a solution for this problem.  Multiple kanban boards show under the list of boards for a project, and I'd like to move them to a different project.

Note: This is not a question about including projects on the board itself.  In my case the boards contain issues from multiple projects already - as desired.

The problem is that when you Navigate to Project -> MYPROJ and then hover over the "..." there is a pop-up "BOARDS IN THIS PROJECT".  I want to move a number of boards away from this project to another.

In my case I'm happy to use SQL if that is needed to get the job done.

-Vik

Vik Solem June 28, 2017

Now that I look more carefully at the problem, it appears that you can move a project off of that list by removing the project from the filter and including it in the kanban board subfilter.  Of course the primary filter will need to be opened up.  I expect to have some learning moments regarding indexed columns, but this is a way to move a board off of that list.

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question