How can I copy a board using the API?

Alexis Paquette January 25, 2018

The use case is quite simple, I create different projects with the same configuration. I'd like to be able to create two board for each project. I can already save a filter with the API, so what I would like to do is copy a board then change its filter.

According to this: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-15631 I can't do it step by step. 

This is related, but I was never able to make it work: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-questions/Copy-a-board-using-API/qaq-p/605299

Thank you!

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted

There is an api to copy the board 

/rest/greenhopper/1.0/rapidview/{sourceboard id}/copy

Request Type : PUT

Alexis Paquette July 2, 2018

This is what I was looking for! :) Where did you get that? I couldn't find the documentation. By any chances, do you know if there is an API to change the board's filter?

Thank you very much! 

SriniP [Bob Swift Atlassian Apps] August 7, 2018

The above link will not be find in any atlassian documentation. This is not a public REST API's but we can drilled down the functionality and api calls with the chrome tools.

FMassaro March 1, 2019

Do I need to add any data to the PUT request when copying? 

Alexis Paquette March 1, 2019

@FMassaro No you don't need to, you just need to replace {sourceboard id} with the Id of the board you want to copy.

FMassaro March 1, 2019

sorted. thanks for the answer. I just got a wrong board ID, fml!

Muhammad Ramzan(Atlassian Certified Master)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2019

this rest will copy the board in same project. How we can copy the board a new project?

Like Dushyant Saluja likes this
Sngy October 23, 2020

Hello @Alexis Paquette

don't I need to specify the project, where I copy the board, somewhere?

I can't really make it work, is there any practical example for the REST call?

Dushyant Saluja April 21, 2023

how we can copy board to different project

1 vote
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 25, 2018

Hi Alexis,

The second link you sent is for Trello which would have different API endpoints so that could explain why that isn't working.

In regards to this specific request I did some research and did not find a solution that would copy the board in this manner.  At this point please vote on JSWSERVER-15631 if you have not to add impact and you'll be notified of any updates.

Cheers,

Branden

Suggest an answer