How can I connect Jira database to external application?

kumar January 27, 2014

Dear Atlassian Group,

I am tring to produce the report using Netbeans in the Windows Environment from Jira Database HSQL where I need to connect the database remotly which exists in the linux environment(/var/atlassian/application-data/jira/database/jiradb).If i copy and paste in the Windows Environment,HSQL database connection is working fine as follows;

Class.forName("org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver");

conn = DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:hsqldb:"

+ "file:C:\\Kumar\\Publish to Others\\28Jan2013\\jiradb",//db_file_name_prefix,

"sa", // username

"");

but I want to connect Jira database remotly. Please help me how can I connect HSQL database and give the connection string("DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:hsqldb:"","sa","") "

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2014

You won't get remote access to an HSQL database - there's nothing there publishing a connection. I don't know of any programs that would provide one either.

However, I'm not sure why you're bothering. The HSQL database is not a production system, you'll need to connect to the actual production database with your code, and they do expose remote connections for jdbc to connect to.

kumar January 28, 2014

Dear Nic Brough

Thanks for your reply. We are using HSQL database in the production which is running on the linux machine. I am writting the application (Report) in the Windows XP machine using the Netbeans which connect to HSQL Database which I have brought from linux database .My application is working fine with local HSQL database, but i have the problem with connecting to HSQLdatabase which runs on linux.If you have any altermative idea,Please advise me

Thanks

Best regards

S.indirakumar.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2014

Right, there's so much wrong here I don't know where to start.

1. I already said "HSQL does not publish a connection". You can connect to it on the machine the data is on. There's nothing remote unless you find something that publishses it

2. YOU MUST NOT USE HSQL IN PRODUCTION.

You should not waste any time building reporting applications or trying to get HSQL to be accessible remotely, your main piece of work at the moment should be to get Jira on to a proper database as soon as possible.

kumar January 29, 2014

Dear Nic Brough,

Thanks for your reply. In order to change the database from HSQL to MYSQL, I should clarify the management why we should not use HSQL in the production.I saw the warning message in the installation of Jira which says "You should not use HSQL in the production".Presently I am in the position to explain to management why we should not use in the production, but I don't know what are the reasons. Could you explain me why we should not use HSQL in the production sothat i can explain to management regarding this.

Furthermore I am familiar with MYSQL which is recommended by Atlassian Group , So i am going to migrate to this database.Please advise me on this as well

Thanks

Best Regards

S.Indirakumar

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 29, 2014

The short answer is that HSQL can (and will) fail catastrophically, without warning, without backup and when I say catastrophic, I really do mean that you potentially lose *everything*.

You might survive for years without problems. It might fail seconds after you install it. There is no way of knowing when it will fail, but it will, and you could lose anything from 0.001% of your data up to 100%. (Oh, and in case you think "we've got backups", you probably haven't - the way it works pretty much means your backups are at best, incomplete and at worst, useless)

I once refused a very well paid role on the basis that they were using HSQL in production and moving off was not the top priority. The warning about HSQL is there for very good reasons.

So, start with moving it off. MySQL is a really good choice (the best choice is "The one of the four Atlassian supported databases that you know best"), and you should start at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Switching+Databases

kumar January 29, 2014

Thanks for your quick reply.

0 votes
Onkar Ahire
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 27, 2014

Hi Kumar,

Dowaload the jar file http://www.java2s.com/Code/Jar/h/Downloadhsqljar.htm

and http://www.javaworkspace.com/connectdatabase/connectHSQLDB.do

this program will help you to connect to hsql database but please use this for read only,

The below link will help you to understand the JIRA database to generate desired reports.

https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/Database+Schema

Cheers,

kumar January 27, 2014

Dear Onkar Ahire

Thanks for your quick reply.It works me , if i have a database file inside the localhost but In my case, My application(Report Application) access the external database(HSQL database) where Jira Application is running.Here I want to access the database remotly where Jira is running on linux.So I need the correct connection string like "DriverManager. getConnection ("jdbc:hsqldb: "", "sa" , "").

Linux Database Path="/var/atlassian/application-data/jira/database/jiradb"

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

S.Indirakumar

Suggest an answer