How can I configure my notification settings so that people aren't notified by their own actions?

Adam Proctor May 2, 2012

I'm using JIRA On Demand (5.0 right now I believe)

People are getting swamped with notifications that would be relevant, other than that they were caused by themselves.

Is there any way to configure it so that users are not receiving notifications for their own actions?

3 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2012

If you go to your profile, you can configure JIRA not to notify for own changes, This can be globally done under Administration > General Configuration but the user preferences takes precendence.

See http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+your+User+Profile

My Changes – Choose between making JIRA send you email notifications about issue updates made by either both you and other people (Notify me) or other people only (i.e. Do not notify me).

Adam Proctor May 2, 2012

Thanks for the quick response.

The personal setting is a decent work around, but I would like to try to figure out where exactly to set the default value for all our users. I can't seem to find it under General Configuration.

Do you have an idea where it might be set at a project/global level?

Like Sarah Ware likes this
3 votes
Adam Proctor May 2, 2012

As Jobin mentioned bellow you can set this on a per user level, but the answer I was looking for was a solution for all users (or at least a default value) set by an administrator.

Which can be found under: Administration > Issues > User Settings > User Preferences:

Notify users of their own changes? -> NO

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2012

Sorry, that is what I meant by Global settings. Glad you found it. But, as mentioned before, changing this won't override the already existing user settings. They will have to do it under their profile.

Adam Proctor May 2, 2012

Maybe they've changed it, or maybe it just works for users that have not yet explicitly set that preference, but it seems to work for our users right now.

0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2012

I believe the only way possible is @Jobin solution. If you were on the Download Version probably you could change the .jsp so when you create an user it selects by default the 'Do not notify me' option. But in the On Demand this isn't possible.

+1 to @Jobin

Suggest an answer