How can I configure Confluence to user CrowdID to authenticate?

Krzysztof Rogala October 25, 2013

We want to use CrowdID and its login page for our Confluence, Jira and a couplle of custom web apps. I don't see how this can be done. So far, I have configured Confluence and JIRA to use SSO, which is great, but it requires each app to use its own login page (and we are trying to avoid that).

2 answers

2 votes
Caspar Krieger
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 27, 2013

Unfortunately JIRA and Confluence do not support OpenID authentication themselves yet (feature request for JIRA, feature request for Confluence). There's a third party plugin for JIRA to add this functionality, and there's also a third-party plugin for Confluence (which appears to be out of date, but contacting the vendor is probably your best bet).

Getting this support integrated into JIRA and Confluence is probably going to be up to the Crowd team given the relatively low amount of votes on those issues (your votes can change that, of course!); as usual we can't give an ETA, but making JIRA and Confluence able to delegate their logins to another application will satisfy a number of feature requests that we (the Crowd team) has, such as support for 2-factor auth and other authentication schemes.

Anyway, at the moment & out of the box (i.e. disregarding those plugins), your setup is probably the best you can do: JIRA, Confluence, and CrowdID would all be backed by Crowd's SSO and users and sessions can be shared across them (if they're on the same domain), but each of the three will still provide their own login page, and other applications that support OpenID would share users and sessions with Crowd by using CrowdID's login page.

Caspar Krieger
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 27, 2013

Minor correction - I originally wrote that the JIRA OpenID plugin was an unsupported plugin by an Atlassian, but it's actually a third party plugin which is written, sold, and supported independently by someone who happens to work at Atlassian.

1 vote
Marcus Silveira
Atlassian Team
October 26, 2013

Hi Krzystof,

If you still need to log into each application, it does not seem that you have SSO successfully configured.

Maybe you are simply using Crowd to authenticate the applications (JIRA,Confluence) but does not have SSO yet.

Have you taken a look at our docs on configuring Crowd and the apps?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CROWD/Overview+of+SSO#OverviewofSSO-ConfiguringCrowdforSSO

Hope this helps.

Caspar Krieger
Atlassian Team
October 27, 2013

Actually, it sounds like SSO is set up correctly, but Krysztof (understandably) wants a single login experience as well; more details are in my answer.

Krzysztof Rogala October 27, 2013

SSO is working fine. Again, We want to use one CrowdID provided login page for all our apps.

Suggest an answer