How can I complete a sprint with incomplete parent and subtasks?

Lindsey Jordan November 25, 2014

Is this simply not allowed?  

I have a parent with 3 subtasks on a board and I would like to carry this work over to the next sprint.  I am currently unable to end the sprint without removing the task from the sprint and then manually adding it back after closing the sprint.

2 answers

0 votes
Lindsey Jordan November 25, 2014

Hey Nic, thanks for the reply!

HA, I agree ideally all work is always finished before a sprint ends!  This isn't always how it plays out in practice.

This sentence: 'When you end a sprint, JIRA Agile will automatically move open issues into the next sprint if it exists, or place them in the backlog if there is no next sprint created yet.' isn't true in my experience.

JIRA is not only NOT automatically moving open issues to the next sprint, it is preventing me from ending the sprint at all.  I receive this error when I try to complete my sprint:

image2014-11-25 16:22:57.png

I double checked that the next sprint already exists just in case that was somehow contributing to this error.  

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 25, 2014

Ok, I *think* what is happening here is that you have let a parent get closed without closing all its subtasks. That kind of breaks the functionality I was talking about because it (unfortunately) only looks at the parent, and this parent looks closed to it. Could you check that, and if I am right, try re-opening the parent issue (just the parent, not any other subtasks) and then try ending the sprint again.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 25, 2014

You should not have incomplete parents in a sprint that ends, it's nonsense.  

When you end a sprint, JIRA Agile will automatically move open issues into the next sprint if it exists, or place them in the backlog if there is no next sprint created yet.

Suggest an answer