How can I change an issue type once in it's own workflow?

Doug Varn
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2013

Here's the situation: I customized the workflow for a few issue types, like Bugs and Sub tasks. Now I can no longer change them to another issue type after they're created since they're part of a different workflow, it seems even when the issue is in a state that is common to both workflows.

Is there any way around this? Or is it just to say that once you give an issue type a customized workflow, you can never change it's type once created?

I'm afraid I'll have quite a few Bugs marked as Stories, etc. that I will never be able to fix.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2013

I think you need to try the "move" option. This allows you to move issues to
another project, but also includes the ability to change the issue type within
the same project.

Rahul

Doug Varn
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 23, 2013

bingo. "move"... didn't sound like what i needed, but is ;)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2013

If two issue types are configured the same, you can simply edit the issue-type field. If they are not, then Jira needs to validate that swapping types will not require more data or invalidate things. For example, if you have the field "steps to replicate" on Bugs, and marked mandatory, and you have it optional, or even not existing on "story", then Jira needs you to fill it in during the change. "edit" functionality simply doesn't have that. But "move" does.

I'd agree it's not obvious or intuitive, but it is the right approach. The field does hint at it too.

Suggest an answer