How can I change JIRA board Administrator from the API?

Isabelle Bouchard September 15, 2017

Hi, 

I'm using the JIRA Python API wrapper to create JIRA projects and boards. I wonder if there is a way  to change the board Administrator from either Python or REST API? I would like to have a different user than the one creating the board.

I am now using create_board(...) method and by default the administrator is the creator of the board. 

Thank you for your help!

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
MoroSystems Support
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2017

There is a REST endpoint /rest/greenhopper/1.0/rapidviewconfig/boardadmins whose PUT method can set the administrators of the project. Data must be in the format:
image.png

Isabelle Bouchard September 15, 2017

Thanks for the quick reply!

Following that, I get a 500 JIRAError: Unrecognized field "userKeys"... 

Also is it supposed the set the board admin right for one board only? How is it linked to the proper board? 

Is there a place where I can get a bit of documentation on it ..?

MoroSystems Support
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2017

I didn't find documentation so I think it is internal REST service which is not documented and can be changed between versions. I tested it a little and following valid JSON works:

{"id":1,"boardAdmins":{"userKeys":["admin"],"groupKeys":[]}}
  • "id" is ID of board 
  • "admin" is key of the user who is going to be set as administrator

you can set multiple users and groups as board's administrators

Isabelle Bouchard September 18, 2017

Thanks! It worked! :) 

Any idea on how to do it for confluence spaces as well using POST

confluence_server_url + '/rest/api/space'
MoroSystems Support
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 18, 2017

hi Isabelle, you're welcome. Can you accept the answer and create a new Question with all the details? :)

Suggest an answer