How can I can lock certain JIRA users and/or JIRA groups to a single project?

Eric Jung January 21, 2015

I want to restrict a certain JIRA user to read/write one project only. The user shouldn't even be able to see other projects in the project list. Is this possible?

1 answer

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2015

Yes, you just need to configure the Browse Projects permision under project permissions appropriately.

Make sure you are not using generic groups like "jira-users" in the permissions for all projects because all users would be able to see those projects once you do that.

Mark DeCheser January 22, 2015

Giving the user access to the JIRA application automatically places them in jira-users group. Removing the user from the jira-users group results in them not being able to access anything. Our project is using a different permissions scheme and does not have jira-users designated anywhere.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2015

if your project does not have jira-users in the permission scheme, it is already locked down. As long as a user is not part of the groups/roles used in that project, he wouldn't be able to see that project.

Mark DeCheser January 22, 2015

@Jobin Kuruvilla, there were some custom fields as well as the "Reporter" field that were propagating permissions for this user to all projects. I'm still working on things, but I started by cloning the default permissions scheme and stripping out all permissions that escalate privilege to all users.

Suggest an answer