How can I can lock certain JIRA users and/or JIRA groups to a single project?

I want to restrict a certain JIRA user to read/write one project only. The user shouldn't even be able to see other projects in the project list. Is this possible?

1 answer

1 vote

Yes, you just need to configure the Browse Projects permision under project permissions appropriately.

Make sure you are not using generic groups like "jira-users" in the permissions for all projects because all users would be able to see those projects once you do that.

Giving the user access to the JIRA application automatically places them in jira-users group. Removing the user from the jira-users group results in them not being able to access anything. Our project is using a different permissions scheme and does not have jira-users designated anywhere.

if your project does not have jira-users in the permission scheme, it is already locked down. As long as a user is not part of the groups/roles used in that project, he wouldn't be able to see that project.

@Jobin Kuruvilla, there were some custom fields as well as the "Reporter" field that were propagating permissions for this user to all projects. I'm still working on things, but I started by cloning the default permissions scheme and stripping out all permissions that escalate privilege to all users.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 29, 2018 in Jira

How to set up an incident workflow from the VP of Engineering at Sentry

Hey Atlassian community, I help lead engineering at Sentry, an open-source error-tracking and monitoring tool that integrates with Jira. We started using Jira Software Cloud internally last year, a...

1,108 views 0 8
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you