How can I bulk change search filters' JQL without modifying ownership?

Karl Todd Jr January 17, 2020

I will be changing our system resolutions to adopt a new naming convention. The downside is that every search filter that references those old resolutions will then cease to function properly until they are also modified. We have thousands of search filters and it's unreasonable to do this by hand (for one person). I also believe these cannot be edited through the UI unless the ownership is changed first.

I'm believe I'm caught between simply notifying the owners and having them modify each of their filters themselves or, I imagine, replacing the JQL query text directly in the database. 

I don't have direct DB access, so are these my only two options, or perhaps there is a way to leverage Script Runner to address this with a different approach?

1 answer

0 votes
František Špaček _MoroSystems_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2020

Hello Karl!

I would personally suggest doing that in DB with Jira turned off. It shouldn't be anything hard to run few SQL lines and modify all the filter in few minutes.

It might be also doable via ScriptRunner, but I am afraid you will spent a lot of time doing such script and I am not 100% sure you will be able to access all (even the personal) filters, as even scripts in ScriptRunner are run under certain user.

Suggest an answer