How can I be a watcher on all issues in a filter, without having to do a manual bulk operation every day (to catch those issues that are new)?

Courtney Beattie April 4, 2016

I'd like to be a watcher on a bunch of issues that I specify using a JQL query. If anything new satisfies that query, I want to automatically be a watcher on this.

Right now, the closest I can get is to do a bulk operation on the filter and add myself as a watcher, but if I want to catch new issues that satisfy that query, I need to do this repeatedly. 

I'm not that familiar with jira, so I'm sure there must be an easier way!

I also want to be able to add other people to that list of watchers.

I saw this (JIRA autowatch), but everyone reviewing it says it doesn't work/isn't supported, and I don't think our organization uses cloud:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.addon.connect.jiraautowatch/cloud/overview

Subscribing to the filter is not helpful, as it just sends me a big list of all the issues and not the changes that have happened, as they happen.

I'm not concerned about too many emails, what I want to watch is manageable.

Thank you in advance.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 4, 2016

what Jeremy suggested is out-of-the-box available in JIRA.

However, if you need instant notification on events occuring to issues matching a filter, you can use Bug Watcher Notifications that supports this (see docs: https://www.meta-inf.hu/display/PLUG/Bug+Watcher+Filter+Watching) as a dedicated feature amongst a lot else.

Thank you, that does indeed look like what I'm after. Thanks Tibor!

0 votes
Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2016

I haven't used it yet, but it's on my list of things to leverage:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/receiving-search-results-via-email-185729664.html

Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2016

Oh, you said subscribing doesn't help.  What if you add a dynamic "created" date criteria to the filter?  As in, something like:

project=X and created > startOfDay(-0d)

Thank you Jeremy! Yeah, that'd be helpful to see which issues are new for the day. I'd still like to be a watcher on the entire filter so that I see updates to comments, status, etc. as they happen, but also make sure that watch list includes the new issues.

Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 4, 2016

Another format I've come across is:

project=X and created > "-6h"
Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 4, 2016

If Script Runner is available, you can add a listener for the "Issue Created" event, and add yourself as a watcher based on the criteria, but it would require some coding.

Thank you, good to know smile

Suggest an answer