• Community
  • Products
  • Jira
  • Questions
  • How can I be a watcher on all issues in a filter, without having to do a manual bulk operation every day (to catch those issues that are new)?

How can I be a watcher on all issues in a filter, without having to do a manual bulk operation every day (to catch those issues that are new)?

I'd like to be a watcher on a bunch of issues that I specify using a JQL query. If anything new satisfies that query, I want to automatically be a watcher on this.

Right now, the closest I can get is to do a bulk operation on the filter and add myself as a watcher, but if I want to catch new issues that satisfy that query, I need to do this repeatedly. 

I'm not that familiar with jira, so I'm sure there must be an easier way!

I also want to be able to add other people to that list of watchers.

I saw this (JIRA autowatch), but everyone reviewing it says it doesn't work/isn't supported, and I don't think our organization uses cloud:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.addon.connect.jiraautowatch/cloud/overview

Subscribing to the filter is not helpful, as it just sends me a big list of all the issues and not the changes that have happened, as they happen.

I'm not concerned about too many emails, what I want to watch is manageable.

Thank you in advance.

2 answers

1 accepted

what Jeremy suggested is out-of-the-box available in JIRA.

However, if you need instant notification on events occuring to issues matching a filter, you can use Bug Watcher Notifications that supports this (see docs: https://www.meta-inf.hu/display/PLUG/Bug+Watcher+Filter+Watching) as a dedicated feature amongst a lot else.

Thank you, that does indeed look like what I'm after. Thanks Tibor!

Oh, you said subscribing doesn't help.  What if you add a dynamic "created" date criteria to the filter?  As in, something like:

project=X and created > startOfDay(-0d)

Thank you Jeremy! Yeah, that'd be helpful to see which issues are new for the day. I'd still like to be a watcher on the entire filter so that I see updates to comments, status, etc. as they happen, but also make sure that watch list includes the new issues.

Another format I've come across is:

project=X and created > "-6h"

If Script Runner is available, you can add a listener for the "Issue Created" event, and add yourself as a watcher based on the criteria, but it would require some coding.

Thank you, good to know smile

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Julia Dillon
Posted Apr 17, 2018 in Jira

Tell us how your team runs on Jira!

Hey Atlassian Community! Today we are launching a bunch of customer stories about the amazing work teams, like Dropbox and Twilio, are doing with Jira. You can check out the stories here. The thi...

790 views 2 19
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you