How can I automatically close service desk issues in Jira Cloud?

Damon Schopen March 21, 2016

Hello,

I would like to automatically close service desk issues in JIRA Cloud that meet certain criteria. There are some automated messages from our server that can be just closed. I setup automation to transition the issue to "Resolved." That is changing the status to Resolved automatically, but the issues are still showing up under "All Open" in the queue. How can I get the issue to close out so it isn't in "All Open?"

Thanks!

3 answers

10 votes
Nick Muldoon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2016

Hi Damon,

Here's how I achieved automation for closing an issue after timeout with JIRA Service Desk:

1. Create an SLA, 'Waiting on Customer'
    1. All issues, 24/7, 336h
    2. 336 hours, or 2 weeks, in that state before it is breeched
  2. Create a custom automation rule, 'Close issue on timeout'
    1. When: SLA Time Remaining for 'Waiting on Customer' is breeched
    2. Then: Comment on the issue publicly to let the customer know, and transition to Done

Does it sound like that approach would work in your scenario?

Thanks Damon, have a great day,
Nick Muldoon
Easy Agile, creators of Easy Agile User Story Maps and Easy Agile Roadmaps for JIRA

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 6, 2016

Fantastic solution for us cloud users, thanks!

Jochem Klinkhamer June 11, 2019

Hi Nicholas,

Great solution, implemented it in my support channel. Got one question though: how do you reset the timer when a customer replies?

Added some prtscrns of my settings of the created SLA and automation rule.

Thanks in advance,

Jochem

Close issue on timeout.pngWaiting on customer.png

Nikita Mendelbaum May 12, 2020

@Jochem Klinkhamer Once the "Stop" condition is met (customer replied) and the "Start" condition is triggered again (support responded to customer and waiting for customer again) - the SLA timer is reset. 
I think that is the difference between the "Pause on" and "Stop" conditions.
Here are my SLA and Automation settings:

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 17.26.39.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-12 at 17.27.48.png

Nikita Mendelbaum June 5, 2020

Transitioning issue to "Resolve this issue" does not work well - the "Resolution" field will not be set as this is done through the additional screen popping up when you click on the Resolve button in UI. As a result - the tickets are in Closed (Resolved) status but the resolution remains "Unresolved" (which is the group filter for all resolution statuses which are not "Done", "Won't do" etc...).

To work this around, I created another custom transaction ("Resolve Programmatically") "Waiting for Customer" -> "Resolved" that also has the Post function (as the 6th last step) to change the Resolution to "Done".

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 21, 2016

First thing, check what does your automation do when it actually "Resolve" the issue, does it just change the status? Does it populate the resolution field? Second, check what the "All Open" queue display. Does it display "All Issues that are not Closed" or "All issues that do not have a Resolution"?

0 votes
rahuldanwade
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 21, 2016

Hi Schopen,

You can Auto close the tickets using JIRA Automation plugin to configure periodic task which accepts JQL as a filter.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.plugin.automation.jira-automation-plugin/server/overview

But unfortunately, this plugin is not available on the cloud.

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/32506400

BR

Rahul

Damon Schopen March 21, 2016

Thanks Rahul. So there is not a way to do this when using the cloud edition, correct?

Jenifer Kuntz December 20, 2018

Automation for Jira is now available for Cloud!  It is my most recommended add-on for cloud customers.

Suggest an answer